Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 96 vmax600 my first sled i want to change tracks due to wear on the one that came with it 4yrs ago.i was told i should change the drive bearings on it when i change tracksand i was just wondering how many bearings i woul have to buy since this is my first sled and iv never had it apart .iv heard thers 1 and iv also heard there is four to change so how many are thereand is there ne more info i need to know about changeing tracks before i go through with this thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
as for the drive shaft itself, the bearing you want to be most concerned with is the one on the clutch side. the other bearings on the driveshaft are actually integrated into the chaincase and rarely fail due to the fact they are in an oil bath. the jack shaft also has a bearing that should be checked, although you wont come across it doing a track change. changing the track is a relatively straight forward procedure, but issues will arise and there are a few tricks to overcome these issues. when your ready to tackle this project, i can walk you through the procedures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
i agree with snowdad4. while you have it apart to change the the bearings is fairly easy. let me know when you want to do it and you can bring it into my shop and i will help you with it. along with anything else. when you are ready i will pull anything out of my shop n just work on it till its done. you wont know what condition the bearings are in untill you pull it apart. thats why most guys do all the bearings at the same time while it is apart. if i find some threads on it i will post a link on this thread for ya craig.


HEY CHECK THIS LINK OUT!!!!!!!!
http://www.totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/Suspension/replacing_track.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
snowdad4 said:
as for the drive shaft itself, the bearing you want to be most concerned with is the one on the clutch side. the other bearings on the driveshaft are actually integrated into the chaincase and rarely fail due to the fact they are in an oil bath. the jack shaft also has a bearing that should be checked, although you wont come across it doing a track change. changing the track is a relatively straight forward procedure, but issues will arise and there are a few tricks to overcome these issues. when your ready to tackle this project, i can walk you through the procedures.
thanks snowdad4 i appericate all the info!!i will def.look you up when i do this probably in the next few weeks like i said b4 its my first time attacting something like this thanks again!!!

MicahMan said:
i agree with snowdad4. while you have it apart to change the the bearings is fairly easy. let me know when you want to do it and you can bring it into my shop and i will help you with it. along with anything else. when you are ready i will pull anything out of my shop n just work on it till its done. you wont know what condition the bearings are in untill you pull it apart. thats why most guys do all the bearings at the same time while it is apart. if i find some threads on it i will post a link on this thread for ya craig.


HEY CHECK THIS LINK OUT!!!!!!!!
http://www.totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/Suspension/replacing_track.htm
hey thanks much appericated
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
did you check out that yamaha site i posted? what youthink of it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MicahMan said:
did you check out that yamaha site i posted? what youthink of it?
ya i just checked it out pretty cool step by step it makes it sound like a big job! then when u talk to people they make it sound easy .lol i didnt think you had to take all that stuff apart down to pices just to change the track .werll if its something you know how to do and want to get into bjust let me know when you want to do it ill deff. help out as much as i can .i want to learn sum shit like this !i need to get a drive bearing though from somwhere and my skins stillbut i supppose the skins can wait or just forget about them till i get back to work,i just cant wait to get out there and ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya im going to replace the track two boggey wheels drive bearings that u told me about in the prior message and carbides and skins .maybe do something with the rear suspension if the funds allow me to do so this year.i will hopefully be doing this in the next week or so.so im pretty sure you will be hearing from me about this lol.thanks for yhe info nso far much appericated and very helpfull!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just a lil update for you micahman and i did the track and stuff boy it was pretty easy like you said glad i had help and was able to see it done for the first time pretty straight foward. all bearings looked and felt /sounded good thanks for all the info really apericate it!!!! thanks again.(really suprised how easily it all came apart)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
yeah well its nice cause i got all the tools for it ya know. and its nice to be able to work on it in my shop. those inner bogey wheels were a b i t c h!!!! i had to cut one of the bearings off and put another snap ring in there. im thinking that when i get back from madison today if your not busy you can stop down n i should have the skid all put in. paint up the ski's and wait for the skins.

see if we can get the body work done as well or atleast preped for paint. yamaha blue or black is the question lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MicahMan said:
yeah well its nice cause i got all the tools for it ya know. and its nice to be able to work on it in my shop. those inner bogey wheels were a b i t c h!!!! i had to cut one of the bearings off and put another snap ring in there. im thinking that when i get back from madison today if your not busy you can stop down n i should have the skid all put in. paint up the ski's and wait for the skins.

see if we can get the body work done as well or atleast preped for paint. yamaha blue or black is the question lol
ya that wont be a problem janet gets off about 3 shes stopping at store in dells for som meat should be home around 4 so she can keep an i on the boys while i come down there for a few id like to go yama.blu. but i need money for the paint but then again if that guy sends them pink skins lol it sure wont look good on a blu and wht. sled who knows if he really is gonna throw in the blk pair hes kind of screwing us wiyh his way of doing busniess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Krylon "Fusion" paint for plastic held up real well on my 96. minimal prep work, just a good scrubbing. around $4 per can. sounds cheazy but it worked for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ne one no where or how to get my hands on a owners manual?? just got off the phone with a yamaha dealer and they said there computers dont go back that far to print one off,and he doesnt know where to get one cuz he said he cant even order one.???sound wierd.we threw a durasport 725 track on it thats like brand new and it is real tight.and we have it on the losest settings poss. and its still real tight. only sags enough to get like the tip of our finger between it.any ideas or suggestions would help alot. the track is like new been sitting for along time in box and wrapped is it possiable that the track is just that tight and will streach back out??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
i can send you a burnt copy of the service manual, specific to your sled, genuine yamaha, for a fee. pm me if your interested. same as your dealer should have been able to offer. all the info you need. let me know.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top