Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 96 XCR600SP with 2900 miles. It has a recently rebuilt motor (bad water pump). I also put a new comet 108 primary clutch on it.
Question is- there seems to be about 1/8" - 1/4" of play in the secondary clutch. Without adequate belt pressure, the secondary clutch makes a high pitch squealing noise.
Is there supposed to be play in the secondary? Also- there is a grease port behind the secondary - could this be the source of the squealing due to dryness?

·
Registered
58 Posts
yeah i have a similar question for my machine i have a bender clutch and i have about a quarter inch of play in my secondary what is that and is it ok?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Your secondary should have a little bit of play, mine is about 1/16" to 1/8".
There is a grease zert behind your secondary, it's important to keep that baby greased - otherwise you'll end up with jackshaft problems.

As far as the squealing... not sure about that. Lube that jackshaft (you may have to get a needle zert fitting for your grease gun) and see if it stops squealing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
? for Itsme,
I have a 96xcr600sp. My water pump gear stripped also and blew all three cyl.

I was wondering if you have done any updates to yours and what kind of results you seen?
Jetting?
Timing?
Suspension?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the insights. With all of the issues I have dealt with lately, I am glad to see that this play should not be a problem.
As for your question- All settings have been set back to stock. As the cans were nicisil(sp), they were very expensive to replace. I was able to work with my local dealer to find brand new, closeout jugs for the sled. All new factory parts were installed.
How are your Fox shocks holding up? I had mine re-built about 1 year ago. The rear one seems to be leaking a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts