Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
XCR came with a reed valved triple based on the Ultra engine with triple pipes and 38mm carbs while the XLT came with the old monoblock engine single pipe 34mm carbs someone correct me if im wrong i think it differs from year to year.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The motor is basicly the same they are both xlt motors. the xcr has better shocks. xcr stands for cross/x country racer, and xlt is xtra light triple. the xlt is more of a trail sled while the xcr was more of a ditchbanger.

97xlt600 said:
XCR came with a reed valved triple based on the Ultra engine with triple pipes and 38mm carbs while the XLT came with the old monoblock engine single pipe 34mm carbs someone correct me if im wrong.
the xcr in the agressive chassis was the one that came stock with the triple pipes. the 1996 xcr was the wedge chassis and has the same motor as the xlt

·
Registered
659 Posts
bluevoyageur said:
XCR600Racer said:
Just curious.
I would think it's the shocks, track length, clutching, and [highlight=yellow]I believe the
XLT has a 650 cc engine.[/highlight=yellow]
Nope the XLT either had the 579cc (580) Xtra Light Triple or the 597cc (600) Xtra Light Triple depending on the year and the model of XLT such as the SKS or the Special or the Ltd.

·
Registered
850 Posts
97xlt600 said:
XCR came with a reed valved triple based on the Ultra engine with triple pipes and 38mm carbs while the XLT came with the old monoblock engine single pipe 34mm carbs someone correct me if im wrong i think it differs from year to year.
My bad I was thinking of my 97 year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
'94 to '96 XCR's had 597 cc XLT monoblock motors in the wedge chassis. '96 xcr sp's have the 600 triple block with triple pipes. '97-'97 xcr's were 600 triple blocks with triple pipes. Not sure about the reeds, but i think all the 600 triple blocks had them.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
POLARISDOMINATOR said:
I do believe the xcr's were lighter than the xlt's...i know my 95 xcr is lighter than my buddies 200 xc 500
WTF? How is an XC 500 comparable to an XLT in any way? The topic in discussion is comparing XLTs and XCRs, not your buddies XC 500.

As for the TRUE comparison: XCRs were for the aggressive riders, and XLTs were for trail cruisers, as previously stated.
In 1996, for the 600cc class there was the XLT, XLT SP, XCR, XCR SP. As said already, the XCR SP was the aggressive chassis with the triple/triple and was a completely different animal. The XCR and XLT/XLT SP all use the same monoblock motor, but the XCR had more aggressive porting I believe. All triple/triple motors were case reed, and all monoblock triples were piston port. XLT SP had fox shocks and larger carbs over the XLT; both had Xtra12 front & rear in 1996. XCR monoblock had fox shocks with Xtra10 rear and standard 8" up front in 1996 (as did the XCR SP).

Here is link to help keep your head from spinning:
http://webspace.webring.com/people/ps/schmidt92/polaris_faq.html

·
Registered
558 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
POLARISDOMINATOR said:
I do believe the xcr's were lighter than the xlt's...i know my 95 xcr is lighter than my buddies 200 xc 500
WTF? How is an XC 500 comparable to an XLT in any way? The topic in discussion is comparing XLTs and XCRs, not your buddies XC 500.

As for the TRUE comparison: XCRs were for the aggressive riders, and XLTs were for trail cruisers, as previously stated.
In 1996, for the 600cc class there was the XLT, XLT SP, XCR, XCR SP. As said already, the XCR SP was the aggressive chassis with the triple/triple and was a completely different animal. The XCR and XLT/XLT SP all use the same monoblock motor, but the XCR had more aggressive porting I believe. All triple/triple motors were case reed, and all monoblock triples were piston port. XLT SP had fox shocks and larger carbs over the XLT; both had Xtra12 front & rear in 1996. XCR monoblock had fox shocks with Xtra10 rear and standard 8" up front in 1996 (as did the XCR SP).

Here is link to help keep your head from spinning:
http://webspace.webring.com/people/ps/schmidt92/polaris_faq.html
Read what I wrote infront of it! [highlight=cyan]I do believe the xcr's were lighter than the xlt's[/highlight=cyan] Im just saying the newer models should be lighter right? Hell for all I know even the XLT could be lighter than the XC 500.

·
Registered
6 Posts
XCR600Racer said:
Just curious.
I think most people are missing the main point here... The biggest difference between the XC and XLT would be intended riding style. This goes for any XC model vs. a straight up trail sled and it all has to do with balance. For example the Trailing arms on the IFS suspension on the XC are tucked into the frame at the back end thus changing the balance of the sled. If you have a chance to look at photos of the two sleds you will notice a few other alterations to the XC front suspension. I'm not sure about the 96's but the newer xc's have a different gas tank allowing you to move further forward on your seat.

·
Registered
916 Posts
XCR600Racer said:
Just curious.

Biggest thing is the XLT's had xtra 12 suspensions and were not white. They also had a little bigger gas tank. You have the 'racer' style tank and the XLT's were bigger. Other than that you have pretty much the exact engine as the XLT special, no difference.

Hope that clears it up.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My apologies !! Should have shut-up and read the posts of wisdom instead of guessing !!
"This post is considered "no good" by the community with a rating of -3. View it anyways?"
was entered at the top of the topic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts