Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want some input on the sled itself, I keep hearing that they're bad and then you hear they're good, can you pipe it and make it reliable ? Just want to know how far I can go with it or just Broom it , not a hard-core rider just like to ride , thanks in advance for any input!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Xlt are great sleds I never had problems with it and kept it all stock. If you start messing with the engine pipes or intake then the reliable could go down unless you know what your doing. If you want to pipe it you can just make sure you do it right or have some one help you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it ok to put a can on it an if so what brand . Do u have to rejet carbs for that? I just hate running anything stock , because so corked up you can't get full potential out of the machine again thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yes can will be find. No rejecting needed and you won't notice power difference. All your doing with a can is changing the muffler like in a car so it sounds different. Most of the time is lighter then stock. I like slp cans but idk if they make one for your sled.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I had a 96 XLT SP years ago. I had horrible luck with mine. Be sure the oil hole is is drilled out to the PTO bearing!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I keep seeing in anything u read about that sled , it's got 4100 mi on it far as I can tell it's never been apart , that's kind of scary isn't it ? It's a very clean sled for the yr .

·
Registered
403 Posts
I just rebuilt the top end of my brothers old 96 XLT 13800 miles.We didn't touch the crank because we want to see how long it will last.The 97 XLT SP I had was a crank eater along with most of the other ones around here.Always the PTO Bearings.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow that's some miles , Well that kind of eases my mind a little bit , I live in Michigan in the thumb area we get ok snow to ride on but most people go to grayling or to the u.p to ride , those are some nice sleds .

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ya,our Polaris dealer doesn't understand how it lasted this long.lol. He bought it new 96.The compression was getting pretty low,that's why we rebuilt the top end.My 97 XLT sp with the fourth oil line only lasted 1600 miles before the first crank seized up.Ive had no problems with any of my Ultra's.Im not too fond of the water pumps on them though.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I don't like the Ultra water pumps.Never had issues with the belt driven pump on the XLT's
XLT water pumps are well-known to fail also, and they are getting harder to find. If you see evidence of coolant coming out the weep hole it's done for.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are the ultras water pump gear driven? Or is it belt driven also, what's the difference in the Ultra , the machine itself from the XLT?

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you get the Xlt your best bet is to not mod it at all. A can shouldn't harm anything, but stay away from tripple pipes. My 95 xlt sp has 11,000 miles but runs like the day it was new. Nothing has ever been touched in the motor as far as I know.

·
Registered
403 Posts
XLT water pumps are well-known to fail also, and they are getting harder to find. If you see evidence of coolant coming out the weep hole it's done for.
Doug Kusmack in Beusejour MB probably has a ton of the older belt driven water pumps still.He even has brand new crate engines and what ever else a Polaris owner would want.Last time I talked to him he had 4 or 5 New Ultra crate engines.I was tempted to buy one for a spare,but they are pretty expensive.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Are the ultras water pump gear driven? Or is it belt driven also, what's the difference in the Ultra , the machine itself from the XLT?
Ultra water pumps are plastic gear driven,with 2 tiny bearings that sound like a turbo system when they are on their way out.The Ultra is a 680 case reed Triple with separate cylinders.Around 106 hp.XLT's are a 580/600 piston port Mono block.Around 87hp/97hp

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
U Would think the mono block whould be stronger or better to punch out an make more hp being one solid block , but I guess the low end is The weak link , have you ever heard of anybody building one of them up to make crazy horsepower ( the mono block ) thanks for the info on the ultras .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts