Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my friend has a 96 xlt 600 and he needs to know what spring to use to bring engagement down to around 3500-4000rpm? the weight had the numbers 10 and 58 written on them. he'd like to just get away with changing the spring. We are also rebuilding the primary clutch. Cause the engagement rpm got progressively higher until it would engage at around 6000 and it wouldnt engage smooth the outer clutch half would slap the belt until you revved it up a litlle higher. will a rebuild kit fix this?

·
Registered
324 Posts
The rebuild kit should fix it. I believe the stock engagement is aroud 4500. Make sure that there are no flat spots on the arms or the rollers. Put in a new spring while you are at it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What spring should i put in it has a blue srping i was thinking maybe yellow? Will the sled lsoe alot on top by dropping the engagement.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would go from a blue to a red. Or stick another blue in it. You wond lose more than 2-3 mph going to a red. I would rebuild first then change with the engagement

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
My 97 XLT SP used to engage at 4000 with the stock gold spring in it. I upgraded to an EPI white primary, and this bumped my engagement up to around 4500. Much better in my opinion, faster out of the hole.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
k thanks. So if it put a red spring in what would be gained over having a white spring as you suggested?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Well, on mine the gold was the stock Polaris spring for my primary. I put in a white EPI spring. This white spring had a higher tension than the gold, so it raised my engagement.

I'm not sure why your bud's sled was engaging so high with that blue spring (I'm assuming it was a Polaris spring). The clutch may be dirty and is sticking, which would cause the higer engagement. I believe the red Polaris spring has less tension, so it would engage sooner (lower rpm).

But I would pull the clutch first and clean it real well. Check the rollers for wear. Once your sure its operating properly, then you can start swapping out springs to achieve your desired engagement rpm. First things first. [;)]

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tfin sorry but i guess my question wasnt clear i meant to ask what is the difference in overall power from the hole, midrange, and on top end with a lighter springs heavier spring? Also one mroe question how do i know its a P-85 Clutch or a P-90.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
The higher the tension of a primary spring, the higher the rpm engagement. Getting the rpm's up into the power band before engagement will provide for a quicker hole shot. Like wise, a lower tension spring is going to lower your rpms, and it won't be as "snappy" out of the hole.

But you don't want the engagement rpm's to be too high, because you're rpm's will top out too soon, and your clutch won't reach full shift out. Simply stated, you'll lose your top end speed. You also don't want engagement to be too low, because you'll bog.

The trick is to find the best weight/spring combination for your primary, and spring/helix combination for your secondary.

Like I previously stated, I put a higher tension springs in both my primary and secondary. Now I'm by NO means a profesional clutch tunner! But I have done a lot of reading on the subject, and chose my spring combination by checking out EPI's catalogue. In it, they tell you what the stock springs are for most all Polaris sleds, then they give their recomendation for their replacement springs. So if you want more hole shot and acceleration, with limited back shift (drag racing), you can choose springs, and a helix for that. If you want a good trail set up that has a good hole shot combined with decent backshifting, you can choose components for that.

Oh, and I'm 99% sure that the 96 XLT has the P-85 primary. My 97 XLT SP does.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
k thanks. I tell my friend to go with the blue, because I dont think he wants to mess with the weights. Thnaks for the help. does epi have a website?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Check em' out. You can order their free cataloge from their site too:

www.erlandsonperformance.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts