Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this earlier but under another thread.... I have a 96 XLT SP and it is a real pain getting it started. If I don't use the choke it wants to fire on the first pull. After this I have to have my son goose the throttle to get it going. Sometimes it bogs until it's warm but other than that it runs real well once it's going. Anyway if I use half choke and one pull it can take 5 or more minutes to get it going (pull start sucks!). Full chock and one pull you can forget it. It seems like if you try 3 to 4 pulls then wait 30 seconds that works the best. Like I said once its running it really moves. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
sounds like it is jetted too rich my 600 was like that but i down jetted it and it starts on the first or second pull now

My wife said its me or my sleds... Im sure gonna miss her

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know I thought about it after I posted the reply. It's probably the pilots. The mains are for when your moving. I think they're .035's???? Can't remember. I know I changed them when I got it just for the sake of troubleshooting the problem. So you think I should go with different jets?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
yeah i think ya should take a step back from where your at now and see if it starts easier
i looked at what the stock jets were for my sled and went up 3 sizes cuz my sled is piped and bored

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I back it down how will it affect riding in colder weather (32 or less) and higher altitudes? I live in North East PA about 1000-1200 feet above see level.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
well just jet it down a size or 2 from what you have in it now and see if ya notice a difference

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds good. I'll try it and let you know. By the way, this a cool website. Just what I was looking for. Seems like alot of Polaris guys on the site. Very important to speak with others that have the same sled. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
i dont have the same sled lol mines an old beast 1983 indy 600

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well at least it starts better than mine! remember they don't get old they just get faster!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Not that im saying that you guys are wrong, but dont forget about inlet needles and seats. They could be leaking gas into the cylinder(s) when the engine is off. This would give the effect of wanting to start if only one of the carbs is leaking gas. Kinda like a primer attached to only one carb on a multiple carb setup. So when ya dont use the choke one cylinder tries to fire cuz it already has gas in it. If you use the choke, one cylinder now has the right mixture for starting, but your adding more gas to the cylinder that already has some in it. Ya see what im gettin at here?

Anyways, i just thought i would give you another option to look at.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah that might be another possibility. is there a visual inspection that can be done on the inlet needles and seats to tell if they need replacing? Also I checked the pilots and they are 35's. that was stock for the XLT SP tripple.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Have you guys determined if there is too much fuel or too little fuel yet? if not after trying and trying to start it, pull the plugs and see if they are wet or dry. I have plenty of suggestions for either senario. Let me know.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was just running it today and didn't have that much trouble starting it. still took a couple of minutes. the next time I run it I'll look at the plugs and let you know. what are the plugs supposed to look like anyway? I have been told different things and want to know for sure.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
good ol EFI.....hehehehe

There's always next year....

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
from what he said in the begining is that it would want to fire on the first pull and after that his kid would have to goose the throttle which to me would say too much gas.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by XLT SP Yeah!:

what are the plugs supposed to look like anyway? I have been told different things and want to know for sure.

[/quote]

Good

Bad

Edited by - Tfin70 on 18 Mar 2002 11:21:46

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
I dunno what NGK's site is telling people, but a white tipped plug means it's running lean. Ask any mechanic.

The top part of this picture is good, the bottom is too rich

This is too lean, and is exactly what my dad's burnt cylinder side plug looked like.

If I still have dad's plugs around here, I will take pictures of the piston, and plug of which it came from, then you will see what they should look like.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just went outside and started it, no choke, took about 10 pulls then it started. with each pull it fired and ran and idled a little longer until it started idling on its own. Until the idle was strong enough it would bog then die with any touch to the throttle. I let it run for about 5 minutes then pulled the plugs. the were not totally black like the picture for running to rich but were wet with black around the electrode. a couple other things.... I was talking with my neighbor (he runs artic cat but knows his stuff) he told me that if I go down one more size on the pilots they would be 30's. Polaris doesn't sell any size in between. Also if i drop down to to lean I could damage a piston. Another thing, I know the idle screws are 1 & 1/4 or 1 & 1/2 turns out. the sticker on the hood says only one turn out. I'm wondering if this is part of the problem......

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I actually agree w/you pman about the plug ngk states as being "good". It seemed a little too lean to me as well. I just wanted to post a couple of pics to give a "general idea" for someone who might not have any. I also think the dry black one is too rich. I personally like to see a nice "cardboard brown" color on my own plugs. Hmmm, maybe ngk's in kahoots w/ weisco or something.....

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

1 - 20 of 77 Posts