Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was running up my sled yesterday and after I shut it off, the engine will not turn over. There is a grinding noise from the stator area, and I believe the stator piled up in there. As far as getting that stator off, will a normal 3 finger puller work on getting that "end cover" off to get at the stator?
It seems to be seized on, any tips on getting that cover off?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I do not believe a 3-jaw puller you refer to will work on the sled. You will probably end up needing a fly-wheel puller which i think is what you mean by "end cover", which can be ordered from any reputable mail-order company or possibly from your dealer. The flywheel is probably not seized on the crank, it is an interference fit, which means it is kind of pressed onto the crank. What i usually do is get the puller on there and tighten it up really well and take a 2 lb. sledge hammer and smack it a couple times and it usually pops right off.

Hope this helps.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by TriumphoverU:
I do not believe a 3-jaw puller you refer to will work on the sled. You will probably end up needing a fly-wheel puller which i think is what you mean by "end cover", which can be ordered from any reputable mail-order company or possibly from your dealer. The flywheel is probably not seized on the crank, it is an interference fit, which means it is kind of pressed onto the crank. What i usually do is get the puller on there and tighten it up really well and take a 2 lb. sledge hammer and smack it a couple times and it usually pops right off.

Hope this helps.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.
[/quote]

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I picked up a universal fly wheel puller at my local auto parts store for about $35. works great on both Yamaha and Polaris fly wheels.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts