Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 96 xlt special. Out riding and it just stopped running. could not get it started. dont believe it to be a fuel issue - went dead fast. CDI bad????

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
hold onto them and have someone pull it over!
IM ONLY KIDDING, please dont do that.
just pull the plugs outta the head and lay them on the top of the cylinder

·
Registered
634 Posts
bigwedgies said:
[highlight=red]hold onto them and have someone pull it over![/highlight=red]
LMFAO!! Classic

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Most often its the stator that goes bad and not the CDI,

·
Registered
741 Posts
polarisguy23 said:
bigwedgies said:
[highlight=red]hold onto them and have someone pull it over![/highlight=red]
LMFAO!! Classic
Ive feel for it a few times, used a big 1" wrench and put the plug on it and had someone pull it over, man didnt i drop that thing fast! haha

I pull all two (or three in your case) and do one at a time, and lay them on top of the cylinder..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies...........I just need some help to trouble shoot the issue.

Got spark, and got it to fire up, but was making some noise and then it quit.............not good. I have not gotten it to fire up again. Any ideas on how to proceed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got it to run, but starts hard and makes some racket at idle speed. So, now it looks to be worse than I thought. I was thinking elec. now I am thinking bearings or rings.......or..........I still need to check compression. Any thought or suggestions..............thanks again for all the replies.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, got spark, 120 for compression in each. starts and idles . Sound normal at idle, but racket when I add some throttle. Clutch is spinning and seems to be the source of the noise. Any ideas now???? Thanks for any assistance.............

·
Registered
66 Posts
does it rev up or bog? cause my 96 xlt my coils died one at a time over three years, the sled would start and run but it would flood the other plugs and have no power, i havent had a problem since cause there all new now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hear ya! I will pull the primary and see what I find. I can't see any visible problems. But I don't believe the primary has been serviced since new.............

Thanks for your time and advice.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Trevdog211 said:
I hear ya! I will pull the primary and see what I find. I can't see any visible problems. But I don't believe the primary has been serviced since new.............

Thanks for your time and advice.
check the crank seal, could be a crank bearing goin, the bearingsr noted for going out specialy if its piped or clutched or has lots of miles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts