Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[Disappointed]I have a 96 xlt special ( triple ) the clutch side carburater doesn't draw when you pull it over without the plugs in it, we had a club ride a couple of weeks ago and as I was driving I started to lose power unless I was at wot, after we stopped I discovered a vaccuum leak at the boot, whitch turned out to be the o ring at the head, I replaced all three boots and had intermittent performance around the yard, and very hard to start, if you put your thumb over the spark plug hole the compression feels about the same as the other two, but when you put your hand over the carb, there is no draw like the other two, does this have reeds, and where do they keep them, or is it a ring problem? carb slides are working, same at wot.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
sounds to me like lack of compression do a test using a compression tester*

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, I'm looking for my tester now, keep you posted, I pulled that carb off, same thing at the boot, I don't see any reeds, just the piston....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, is anybody on that works on these engines? I still didn't find a compression tester, but if I oil the cylinder, I still have great "thumb" compression, but no carb vavvuum

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
You ran lean because of the leak, and melted your piston.

You most likely have a hole in your piston. Or else your rings are stuck.

In any case, that top end needs a rebuild.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
It is called a "piston port" engine, the bottom of the piston (the piston skirt) closes off the port in place of the reeds. With high mileage, the piston skirts break off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's got 3500 miles on it, I just ran a compression test and got 110 lbs on all three cylinders, the piston skirt looks the same as the center, and doesn't look broken

I'm going to pull the pipes off and take a look at the exhaust side

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
exhaust side looks good too, I'm baffled! I can see the compression chamber open on the exhaust side, but really can't see a port opening into the compression chamber on the intake side on any cylinder, is there a port the air fuel mix enters thru?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Yes, there's a port that goes from the bottom to the top compression chamber.

It not really visible from the intake port, but it is from the exhaust port. Look in the exhaust ports at the cylinder walls with the piston at BDC, and you should be able to see the intake ports.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
PTO crank seal. I went through the same thing only on the MAG side with my XLT.
Good compression, spark, etc. Drove me crazy for awhile.

·
Registered
156 Posts
IF you do have a broken off piston skirt while you have the jug off take soe sand paper and round out the sides and bottom of your intake port. If you run your finger along the port on the inside of the jug and it feels sharp kind of round or bevel it with some paper because that sharp edge will grab onto your skirt and snap iit off. The sharp edge happens over time.

·
Registered
718 Posts
flyinbri said:
I was wondering if that was a possibility, do I have to split the case?
yup you'll have to split the cases. also you'll need a clutch puller to remove the clutch. i'd suggest you change your seals and clean out the cases. plus if you seized your engine. clean out all metal pieces out of the crankshaft with an air compressor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts