Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
theres a problem with my zrt that just started this year...it almost cuts out when going at high speeds, but it still wants to pull, its just like the spark is cutting out. ive checked most of the wires, but i think ill try some of that dielectic grease. anyone else ever hear about a problem like this or have the same problem? thx.[8D]

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
AH yes ,been through a whole bunch on this model sled ,(i own one)this could be any number of things,could be water in the fuel,sparkplugs,stator ,take it out and when it does that flip the choke on if it clears up need to take the carbs off ,also cracked carb boots,etc

·
Registered
282 Posts
to check if you are having an electrical problem,just unplug the square 4 pin plug coming from the stator and put your by pass plug across the blk and brn wires,if it clears up you got a bad switch somewhere,you will have to kill it with the choke with the by pass in,if it doesnt clear up you have mechanical or fuel problems

·
Registered
815 Posts
zrt's are great machine but come with a list of failures

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
^ wrong. I have ridden mine for YEARS... only 2 things to ever happen was water pump gasket started leaking a little and the carbs/chokes got dirty once and were giving me problems.

Other then that, problem free sled.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Agreed^^^

Try sum dry gas in the tank, to get any water that may be in there out. My sled had an issue like that, it would bog out at high speeds and foul plugs off.

ZRT's are awesome machines

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
welllll... i by passed it, and yes, it cleared up, but now its at a point where it wont even move unless its by passed so i have to fix it, i dont know which one it could be, or really where to begin... help plzzz[xx(]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yesss, and it worked, but when u do that u cant just run it like that, no lights, no tach, no switches, etc. i dont know where to start, or what to look for to determine which switch it is... any ideas anyone.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
there are throttle sensors on the carbs if i remember correctly that will cause this problem if your carbs are out of sync

·
Registered
282 Posts
start jumping across your key switch,then your kill switch,anywhere theres a switch until it runs properly,then fix the one that isnt working right

·
Registered
412 Posts
my friend is having a prob kinda like this right now but his sled wont even start because of the wiring no spark
the only thing he hasnt replaced is the wire wip and he is doin that really soon

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well... heres the weird thing, i put the four prong plug back together today, fired the sled up, was fine... took it for a ride around the yard, still fine... and went for a long ride and no problem... apparently its fixed haha, i didnt even do anything... chances are it will br back to haunt me soon.. just seems weird that it worked fine today[8D]

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would guess it's the magnetic switches on your carbs. They are there to shut down the motor in the event that the throttle sticks wide open. When I got the sled, mine had been unplugged and two of the wires cut, so when I rebuilt the carbs, I just took them off. I know this may not be the safest thing, but I always hook up my tether and I personally feel okay about that.
We were out riding on the lake today and my buddy's 500ZR was doing the same things yours is, so we tried unplugging the switches and it works fine.
I guess I can see what they were trying to do with having the switches there, but I have heard about an awful lot of problems with them. Kinda makes me wonder.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, i might as well do away with them, cuz ive talked to ppl in town too and they say the same thing. sweet, problem fixed.. for now [:D]

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Thats it.. I am leaving work at 4 today and flying home and doing what you did to my ZRT.. I will take pictures too

Keep your fingers crossed that that is what is wrong with mine..

First cylinder dead at idle. Full throttle all cylinders work fine. Carbs are clean, spark is great, new plugs.

Doing what you did is free, so what the heck! Its 12 degrees out and my sleds are in 6 inches of snow. The only tracks around them are deer!

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
^ just got back in!

No, it did not. None of my lights worked (as expected), and the sled still ran like crap.

However, I think I figured out the problem! My airbox was filled with snow! Well not literally. Cleaned carbs, reinstalled, vrrrrmmm.. ran it for 10 mins. Still have a coolant issue, and still have a idle issue. But I can now cruise at around 10 mph and I couldn't before. It won't idle because the clutches are so far off and rubbing on the belt. I am about to go post this in my zrt thead.

So, I am outta here, but thanks for that stator tip!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts