Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bear with me all you Cat guys, I'm a Polaris guy who recently acquired a ZiRT. I am not too familiar with this machine, and I am wondering about the rear susp. I thought I read somewhere that they changed the suspension from 96 to 97. Can anyone break down for me the differences, whether or not it's worth trying to upgrade, any other thoughts? Once I get my carb issue figured out, the next item up on the maintennance table is the rear skid- like slides, wheel bearings, etc. I am wondering if I should keep what I have or try to upgrade.... The skidframe I have does have Fox shocks, as well as 2 on the front. I am not certain as to when they were last rebuilt and whether or not they are in decent shape. Anyway, I will appreciate any help you all Cat guys can give me!
Thanks-
G

·
Registered
49 Posts
The '97's got the ETT tunnel and longer longer travel rear suspension with the TSL link. I have a '96 ZRT and loved the motor but hated the suspension. You can put a newer skid on your '96 like me and many others have, it's a great upgrade from the stock rear skid.

Before:

After:

I have the instructions for doing this, since you do need to drill new mounting holes for the newer skid.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
My 96
[attachment=30785]
My 97
[attachment=49575]

97 has the fasttrack suspension (I think also called ETT). And the TSL (torque sensing link) as stated above.

I think the 96 only has 9 inches of travel too. I will look it up in my book when I get home. That suspension in the 96 sucks! I don't know if it was good for that time but let me tell you it sucks when compared to new sleds haha.
We all know the motor was awesome, but the suspension is the bad part of that sled.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
yeah the 97's i believe had 13.5 inches of travel. my dad had a 96 800 and it was insane. i think it was faster than his 2000 zrt 800

·
Registered
49 Posts
Originally posted by nateman
[br]wow that looks good. What year sled did that skid come off of and how hard is it to put in?
The skid is out of a 2000 ZRT. I am going to take it out so that I can add some fat boy springs and replace the rear arm shock with a clicker from a 2002 Cross Country ZR. It was not hard to do, just need to be real careful when drilling the new mounting holes.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Originally posted by catscratchfever
[br]yeah the 97's i believe had 13.5 inches of travel. my dad had a 96 800 and it was insane. i think it was faster than his 2000 zrt 800
My 96 zrt 600 was slightly faster then my buddy's 2000 or 2001 zrt 600

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I have pretty much decided that I am swapping skidframes.... I just need to find one! And get the carbs/chokes situation dealt with! I had another thought that I am sure will raise some eyebrows, but I am throwing it out anyway. I always loved my XTRA 10 rear on the last Polaris I sold after the kids were born, I wonder how that might work..... Anyway, after you guys talk me out of that, my next question is this: Can I use the Fox Shocks on my 96 in the 97 or newer skidframe? I am just thinking I might find one cheaper without shocks.....
God, I wish it would snow!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
96s were like 9.5 they called it with a little adjusting ,they dont work bad ,but will never be as good as a ett

·
Registered
49 Posts
Originally posted by indygreg
[br] Can I use the Fox Shocks on my 96 in the 97 or newer skidframe? I am just thinking I might find one cheaper without shocks.....
God, I wish it would snow!!!!!!!!!
I believe that you could use the rear arm shock, but the front shock on the ETT skid is longer.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Originally posted by indygreg
[br] I always loved my XTRA 10 rear on the last Polaris I sold after the kids were born, I wonder how that might work.....
I think the ETT has more travel then the Xtra 10

·
Registered
64 Posts
FYI theres a few people on the arcticchat.com forum that have full detailed instructions and parts lists to update rear skids, front end, and move the steering post forward. on pre 97 sleds check it out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts