Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum but thought that I would toss out a question for those of you with a lot more experience with the ZRTs than I do.

I just bought a '96 ZRT 800 that I suspect has some issues with its rings. The chassis only has around 3200 miles on it but the engine won't fire. The compression is right around 65 in the cylinders.

Anyway, I figuring that a rebuild will be in order.

I have come across two kits (one on eBay and one on Craig's list) that are listed as "Big Bore" kits...increasing the cubes to around 1000.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they durable? Any electronic/fuel issues other than rejetting? Clutch issues?

The only real reason for me to even consider doing this is the fact that these setups are complete with rings/pistons/cylinders for about the same price as a rebuild kit...and yes, obviously they are used but both only had less 800 miles on them. The one guy wrapped his sled around a tree.

Thanks for your help.

· Registered
842 Posts
No experience with the big bore kits,
who's kits are they? what pistons used? heads come with them?

Me personally, I would tear down the motor I had, inspect the cylinders,
and then make a determination as to which direction to go. If its only
pistons and rings, I'd probably just rebuild. If I needed cylinders also,
then I'd consider "going large"
Within the last few days, I remember seeing(somewhere, maybe ArcticChat?)
a complete, running 800 ZRT motor for $800.

· Registered
135 Posts
Find out who did the kit. Is it some kid grinding for the 1st time or is a kit done by a shop. A lightly ported 1000 kit made out of 900 cylinders with pipes, reeds, bored carbs and a 4 arm clutch will make a nice 185-190hp, be VERY reliable and the 4-arm will get the power to the ground. You'll need a deeper lug track to hook it up. You won't be the fastest, but it'll beat a lot of sleds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.