Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was spent straightening out what I didn't do right the first time.

I took the carbs apart again and I had forgotten to clean out the UFOs that are in the slides...they were plumb full of gunk. And I did figure out the whole "smoking real bad thing". When I first pulled, cleaned, replaced and synchronized these carbs, the cables were way too tight. They had no slack in them whatsoever. Well, I adjusted all of the carbs....but forgot to reset the oil pump.

New issue is sometime lack of spark. I noticed this the other night and was kind of puzzled by it. When I was pulling on the rope, it didn't want to fire. I pulled the spark plugs and plugged them into the wires but when I cranked it over, there was no spark. I dinked around with the switch but still nothing.

I went to my manual and it told me to unplug the engine wire and jump the brown and black to check for spark. If there is spark, then it is a safety kickout (i.e., TSS, switch or tether). I pulled it a couple of times like that and then got spark. I plugged the wires back together and it fired right up.

Today, I pulled the carbs, cleaned them again and pulled the engine over again to pump new fuel back into the carbs. Just for sh**s and grins, I pulled the plugs to see if there was fire and there was none. Jumped the black and brown, pulled it a few times, got fire, replaced the plugs and then it backfired. I pulled it over again and it started. I let it run, shut it off, tried to start it again. Didn't act like it wanted to fire for the first 5 or 6 pulls and then it backfired again. Next pull, it started.

Could a faulty key switch be causing me grief now? The TSS switch has been bypassed before I got it (they simply cut the 3 wires and wirenutted them together down by the steering column. What role do the electrical wires going to the carbs play in the safety issue...could they be to blame.

One other thing, it has started a new thing while idling. It will idle at 1500 fine and then gradually idle up to 2000, stay there for a minute or two and then return to idle. Any ideas?

Is everything related?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I didnt really read the whole post, but test your stator, out of the 4 zrt's i've had over the year, (all 96's, 3 of them 800s) , i replaced 2 stators

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
sounds like the wire-nutted bypass isnt working right. try to get them back to the stock configuration.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You could have shorted wires in your wiring harness, tether switch is bad or it could be the key switch. Also, just double check the bypass that was done on it before you got it..maybe it is coming loose ect...and isn't making good contact.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts