Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am hopefully going to get a new sled before the end of the season i was lookin at getting a xcr 440 but id like to be able to keep up to my buddies on the trails so im looking at a xc 600 97-00 so just wondering which is most reliable and what known problems for those years are if any, thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I had a 98 that would keep up with my 220 cyl'd 98 700. 97 1/2 is what I presume you mean because a 1997 xc600 would be a fuji trip. To each their own on what year to buy.....I was never fond of the Gen 2 body so I would do a 97 1/2 or 98.

No real issues but a waterpump belt is a good idea depending on miles and if its been changed yet. People had issues with the carbs but they can be tuned with appropriate knowledge. The cdi/coil system used seems to be more problematic than prior years.

the 98 XCR 440 will keep up with the big boys on the trails until the strait runs. If you never rode one ....DO IT

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was looking at a 98 xcr 440 with 3300 miles for 2grand, but have found a few 98 xc 600 for cheaper with around the same miles, i havent owned a sled for about 5 years and that was a indy sport 440, i dont make alot of money so just dont want to be dropping loads of money into my sled every year

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The XC6 will prob. be more reliable but its a crapshoot. If the XCR440 has tempaflow installed its a heck of a reliable sled too. They both have the same style CDI/COIL system.

the XCR440 is more desirable and will hold value better thus the selling price diff.

my2cents

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
2000 XC SP 600 (not the 45th anniv deluxe) had the powervalve small block so it doesn't have the waterpump belt issue (gear driven oil/water pump). 2000 Gen II chassis had an impressive 42.5" ski stance making it corner very nice. As for improvements over the '98 XC6, the 1999 and 2000 also had better ergos (more comfortable handlebar shape) and a much better braking system.

Like what Dodger said, possible issues on the 600 BigBlocks were water pump belt and also could be tough to tune due to a nasty bog from the Keihin carbs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so ive read that the motor in th 98 xcr 440 is more reliable and has 13 or so more hp then the 97 xcr the dealer with the 98 xcr also has a 97 with 1000 less miles for 2000$ also. anyone know about that? and im thinkin a xcr 440 would be nicer because im 5'10" 150 lbs and plan on mostly ditch bangin so i wwanna be able to throw the sled around with ease.will these 440's raise the skis like a 600 with some tuning? anyone know if its possible to put a 600 motor in the xcr 440 chassie thatd be nice if i wanted to sometime

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
My wife has a 99xc600 and we have had zero trouble with it. It is the BB 600 and is the Gen II chassis. Hers is clutched and has twin pipes and an slp boost bottle and it rips!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im still leaning towards the 98 xc600 or 98 xcr440 im not a fan of the gen II body either im thinkin i want the 440 so i can later drop in a 600 motor and really have some fun

·
Registered
741 Posts
the 97 xc 600's were tripple's. 98 and up had a twin. They are all reliable (cept mine) but if i remember right in 00 or 01 they had powervalves which made more horsepower then the older ones. Id say pick one and you got yourself one hell of a sled. I love mine and my fathers xc 700, both haul ass.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 97 XC 600 Triple and it has been nothin but reliable. Simple to work on and with care not too hard to tune. only problem I have had is if I use NGK plugs. They seem to just fail outta no where. changed to champs and its awesome. Hauls a**

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I've put on 1000's of miles with my 98's and never had a motor problem. I think they are one of the most reliable you can get, and continued when they went to VES.

Remember, there's no replacement for displacement.

I went from a 98 600 to an 01 800. You may think it's only 200cc but oh my, what a big difference in torque. Acceleration and top end,are pretty close, but the mid range pull on the 800 is about 5x as strong.

I would like to see the torque curves from the 440 to the 600 to compare.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks alot for the posts evryone, now I just have to find one in decent shape for a decent price. I hope to have one by the end of the season so I can do some riding this year. And so I have somethin to wrench on all summer

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
anyone know wat the weight difference is on the xc6 and xc7 for 98 because im not a big guy and i wanna be able to throw the sled around fairly easy

·
Registered
741 Posts
If i remember right its not much of a difference at all. my father has a 700 and it feels like my 600 has more bottom end, but the 700 has more top end to mid range power.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I'll get a 600 I want more bottom end for the ditches I found a fairly cheap 700 and was thinkin about it but I think I'll stick to the 600

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I never felt much of a weight difference in my 99 500 to my dads 99 700, but if there was one the 700 made up for it in power. We sold it last winter with a little under 10k miles, and almost all original. We would've kept it but it needed a good bit of repairs cause it had the crap beat out of it over the years.

Honestly if you are concerned about reliability, i'd say you have nothing to worry about cause your looking at one of the most reliable family of engines out there. The 5/6/700 Libertys are amazing. Spent many miles on my 500 and the 700, both run extremely well, are dead reliable, and they both flat out go. So far our 600 has 6800 miles on it, and we are gonna add to that this winter on the original top end. Like i said we are new to the 600, but everything i've read and heard about them is that they are strong and reliable also.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts