Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went out and bought the middle child a 97 440 last year. My Mistake was buying it from a used car salesman. lol well she got to ride it about 20 miles last year before it started to bog down under full throttle. I said I would get it fixed. I took it to a shop (cause I didn't have time too.) They told me there was to much wrong and the didn't want to fix it.. Well I guess I will spend my money else where then. So I finally got some time over Christmas break to work on it. I did a pressure test both Cylinders run about 140 to 150. not bad... Cleaned both carbs found a little gunk in the inlet ports. Cleaned and replaced all the gaskets, lines, and hoses. Set the needles according to the Specs.

My Problem is this.. It will not Idle. It is so low it just dies out. If we feather it it runs great. Then will want to die and half Choke it it runs great. We put a timing light on both spark plug wires. I will refer Cylinder 1 as the Clutch side Cylinder 2 as the Stator side.. C2 we can see the the timing grid and at about 1100 rpm we see it is at 20 degrees 4000 rpms at about 30 degrees. we transferred the tester to C1 and after about every 50 revelations we could see the grid once. Since this is a Siamese system you would think they would be identical.

No to the confusing part. I have a friend that has a Polaris 700 and He is having the exact same problem.. Stator? CDI? Where do we go from here?

·
Registered
37 Posts
When you say you cleaned the “inlet ports” do you mean the jets? If not you need to make sure the pilots and mains are cleaned very well. If they have anything blocking them it will run like shit. The pilots are Very Small and need to be cleaned with a small bristle of sorts and air. Make sure you see light through it with NO obstructions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts