Snowmobile Fanatics banner

97 600 XC

824 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  MegaMan 
#1 ·
Sled is my son's and its performance is questionable. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how it should be set up? Motor runs great, just no performance and top speed is about 75 mph according to its speedo. I'm not sure what the current set up is (springs, cam, wieghts), but the gears are 39-21. I will be checking it later this week, but was hoping for some reccomendations as to what it should have.

#3 ·
RPM's top out at about 8100. Belt is new, I don't know if the clutch is shifting out all the way, I will have to check.

It was suggested to me to change to a 35 gear, they guy who suggested this felt the existing ratio was too high.

#4 ·
Even w/ your current gear setup 21-39s at 8100 rpm you should be good for around 90mph or just over..

21-35s should get you up in 100mph area, but there is a trade off there always is, you loose some acceleration..

So the guy that suggested that to you is right it will give you more top end.. But since you are topping out at 75mph I'm not sure if gearing is the only issue.. what's your current clutch setup..?

#5 ·
i dont think you could pull that gearing very well for trail riding. mark a wiiiiiiiiiiiiide line on the primary clutch take it for a full blast, than just see were the line is wore away. it should be mostly gone right to the top. if not we need to try a different primary spring stock one, to see if it is the spring or what else we need to look at.

#6 ·
If you are serious about getting big time performance out of that thing, then a good set of triple pipes are a must!! My buddy had that sled with a set of SLP pipes on it and it had all kinds of top end. On a plowed run way on a lake, we had it up around 115 mph on the speedo and it liked to spin up to around 8800-9000 rpm. While it was not as quick as the twins in the bottom end, it should beat most twins in the upper mid range and top end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.