Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning from Maine, I am working on a project right now and could use a starting point. I have a 97 XC600 mono triple. I have just come across a pretty fresh long block with the SLP 654 kit. I am going to stay away from the pipes on this one, Maine is cracking down on it, and I would like this thing to be as dependable as a fake triple can be. I will be running the 38's that were on the old engine. The gearing and clutching are stock and the jets have been left alone as well. I will be adding a 136" skid and keeping the x-tra 10 front and rear. I am assuming that I may have to fatten up the mains a bit. So now I am ready for all of the different opinions on jetting, gearing and clutching. This is my play sled and will be used for some aggressive trail riding and some minor off trail stuff in the spring. I have another 97 XC 600 that is completely stock with 3500 trouble free miles on it, so when this one ended up with moisture in the CC from sitting off season, I figured it was a good opportunity to make a toy.
Chuck

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Welcome...Whats a "fake" triple?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
X2 Welcome to the site, and what is a fake triple. When i here fake triple i would assume an XLT with a twin in it.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
I suspect that he's referring to a triple motor with single pipe as a fake triple.

Get a set of triple pipes that go into a stock can, and put them in. The stock can will be quiet enough, and you won't be crippling the bored motor with a single pipe.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I am referring to the monoblock triple. I have had pretty good luck with them, but putting the pipes to her makes me a little leary. I guess if I keep it turned down just under 9 grand it may stay together. Any recommendations or leads on a set that will go into the the stock or SLP silencer?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I finally found and bought a set of SLP pipes that go into a silencer instead of the stingers. My 136 skid and track have arrived and the shocks are at the shop being rebuilt. So now I will get back to my original question, where to start with clutching, jetting and gearing? The motor is the SLP 654 bigbore with the power dome heads. I will be running the Mikuni 38's. The gears are stock 21/39 length of the chain is 66. I am stepping down to the 8cog drive wheels in order to run the 2" lugs and am going from the 2 wheels to four. I know there will be some trial and error, but I would like to have a close starting point and would like to keep the revs right at 8800-9000.
Chuck

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I would call SLP and tell them exactly what you are telling us and see what they say, if anything they can lead you to the right direction and you can fine tune from there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
10mw weights, polaris blue spring, 42/34 helix black spring, jetting i would start at 300 mains and go from there, i have this setup, its what slp recomends, mined is bored to 617 and extensive port work and a set of lrd pipes into a can, i`m smokin f-7 arti cats. and put a piped v-max4 on the trailer the other day,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts