Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a indy 440, just plain red, nothing special about it, but runs and starts, decent shape i guess. Anyways anyone know anything about these things, any common problems with them, already did a compression check,, came out good, nice and clean in there also,, anyways, ill be using it to hunt caribou and do some fun riding, any good mods that can be done to these things, i know it already has a few teeth off the belt missing, so gotta fix that,, anything else im missing, other than a good general clean up of the carbs, oh yeah inside the gas tank is a rope and a clear plasic thing that is circular and has a bag of some sort in it,,, so whats this think,, its clipped to the gas thing that measures the gas,, anyways any help would be appreciated,,,, later

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The bag in the tank is most likely to remove moisture from the gas. That sled should be pretty bullet proof as long as it is taken care of. The mod that i would recommend on the 440 would be clutching. Definetly replace that belt. Also make sure you drop the skid and check all the parts in the rear skid and give her a good greasing while your at it. Otherwise you should be good to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Darkstar
[br]Welcome to the forum.

The bag in the tank is most likely to remove moisture from the gas. That sled should be pretty bullet proof as long as it is taken care of. The mod that i would recommend on the 440 would be clutching. Definetly replace that belt. Also make sure you drop the skid and check all the parts in the rear skid and give her a good greasing while your at it. Otherwise you should be good to go.
Cool, i was wondering what that was, what do u mean by clutching,,, meaning to replace the front circuluar thing that grabs the belt,, im brand new to these things,, so i dont know all the terms yet. Ive went through this thing the last few days,, pulling the carbs, cleaning those out,, pulled the gear case cover, checked the tension, realizing it needs a new gasket, but all looks good in there, used air and solvent to clean it nice and clean, and have greased all the points,, also noticed the front , what i would call a limit strap is broken,, do these things keep the suspension from over exstension,, but i check the numbers on the side,,, looks to be manufactured in 92,, so is it a 93 model, hope this is still a decent machine,, it fires on the first pull, engine is still strong. I did replace the belt also. as for pulling the rear skid, when i looked under there,, it looks like all pop rivets,,but i could be wrong, and i greased the jackshaft,, anything else i failing to correct,, i gotta replace the switch for my hand warmers, its missing, lol anyways thanks for the help,, later

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
also noticed the front , what i would call a limit strap is broken,, do these things keep the suspension from over exstension...as for pulling the rear skid, when i looked under there,, it looks like all pop rivets,,but i could be wrong,

Your limiter strap is broken? I've never heard that happening, but I guess it could. Here is a picture of my skid, it's a extra-12 and I believe yours would be an extra-10, so they probably look a bit different, but in many respects are very similiar.

/snofan/../images/users/pigboy/12-05-020013.jpg

Here you can see the limiter strap. It's like a super heavy piece of canvas. Mine has two seperate straps, yours may have one. In the picture it is hanging, but it should be bolted to one of the bottom shafts. If it is physically split in two, you will need to order a new one. Check to make sure all the bolts holding the strap together are present.

To pull the skid, there are four bolts to remove. Two in the fron, two in the back. The two in the back should be readily visable on the tunnel. Referring to the picture, you can see where the two rear screws would go through the tunnel into the shaft that holds the top two boggie wheels on. You can also see where the front two bolts go. You will probably access these bolts in front of, or behind the foot rests. There may be a plastic plug to remove from the front plastic belly pan to gain access to these two bolts. Removing the bolts can be a pain, and a air gun is your best bet if you have access to one.

Good luck and have fun with your new sled.

PS I wouldn't worry about doing any clutching or other engine mods to this sled at first. Get it up to shape (which it sounds like you are doing), then ride the hell out of the sled for a bit. Then report back with what kind of things you'd like the sled do better (handling, hole shot, top end, etc...), only then can apropiate mod suggestions be best made.

·
Registered
352 Posts
my neighber has a 91 Indy SPort 440 and the limeter strap broke on that one too.... and i also know some one else who has had that happen.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey Tundra Runner
I have a Indy Trail 440. (It has been bored out to a 500). One problem (only problem) was I kept burning out headlights. I still have it and use it for ice fishing...it has over 15,000 miles on it & still runs like a charm. -30 degrees C and it starts so easy...three shots of the primer & put the choke on...one mighty heave and away she goes! I think you'll gind it to be a very reliable & hard working machine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by snogurl
[br]Hey Tundra Runner
I have a Indy Trail 440. (It has been bored out to a 500). One problem (only problem) was I kept burning out headlights. I still have it and use it for ice fishing...it has over 15,000 miles on it & still runs like a charm. -30 degrees C and it starts so easy...three shots of the primer & put the choke on...one mighty heave and away she goes! I think you'll gind it to be a very reliable & hard working machine.

thanks for sharing, i hope it does ok, it should anyways,, thanks

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Snogurl,

It sounds like your 440 needs a voltage regulator. They're cheap and easy to change and without one you may burn up more than headlights eventually.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Polaris XLTSP
[br]Snogurl,

It sounds like your 440 needs a voltage regulator. They're cheap and easy to change and without one you may burn up more than headlights eventually.

hey my lights get brighter as the more u up the revs,, is this normal on a snow machine?? thanks

·
Registered
443 Posts
I had my limiter strap break on my 1994 polaris indy 440 f/c ....damn that thing just wanted to keep pullin wheelies when that thing was broken ...So i replaced it becouse that was dangerous ridding it like that...Another Mod you can do to ur 440 is port and polish the motor and get a set of twin pipes for it if your into spending some money...you could also bore out the motor too if ya want some exta power...

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Tundrarunner,

Yep it is normal that that light gets brighter as you go from Idle up through the RPM's.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
What Darkstar said except that they should only get so bright and then stay at that level. If the regulator isn't working they will get really really bright and then real dark permanently.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i appreciate all the tech, i will be using , now for the hand warmers,,,aka wiring , there are 5 wires on that panel, which one runs the hand warmers,,, i know that one is the ignition, ones a ground,,, does anyone know the proper hook up of these,,, i gotta get my hand warmers working,, im not gonna use the key,, its bent, so ive already installed a 2 prong switch, in which cuts the engine off, or vice versa,, anyways would a 3 prong switch for the other 3 wires get the hand warmers working, when the switch is on the on position, does anyone know what im talking about here, thanks

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
R U talking about the wiring at the switch or the wiring running to the switch?
If you are talking about the wiring at the switch you can use any 3 prong switch. I will have to look at my switches tonight to tell you any sort of order/placement of the wires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Darkstar
[br]R U talking about the wiring at the switch or the wiring running to the switch?
If you are talking about the wiring at the switch you can use any 3 prong switch. I will have to look at my switches tonight to tell you any sort of order/placement of the wires.

hey thanks, when i bought this thing i could tell a switch was missing below the ignition, so i run out and get a two prong switch, and start messing around, one time i rigged it,, it shut the lights on and off,, next time it was like turning the key on, so i could start it, but there is 5 wires, 2 goes to a two prong and the other 3 goes to the ignition, im not near my machine right now, but i will write this stuff down , if i can get a color scheme or whatever,,,,,,,thanks dude

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
No Problem.
I will look at mine when i get home.... thats in a couple of hours though... uggg work

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Tundrarunner,

sorry i totalled bricked on looking at my old sled... I got too wrapped up in working on the new one. I will look today and let you know what i find.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts