Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 indy 500 and it seems like it loading up when I first take off then it comes out of it. After riding for about 30 minutes and stopping when I try to take off it just lugs down and doesn't make any power at all. Ive tried to pull the choke and that doesn't help at all. if and when I fianlly get going it comes right out of it and pulls great. around 4 grand it comes into it.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I would clean the pilot jets in the carbs... you an also try to adjust the air screw (in is less air, more fuel, out is more air, less fuel). If adjusting the air screw doesn't make any difference, then the pilot jet circuit is probably clogged.

When you take the carbs off and get to the pilot jet, take a small wire or monofilament fishing line and make sure the hole in the jet is open (I use telephone line with the insulation removed, works great). Make sure all the air/fuel passages are clean and blow those out with compressed air.. that should help a bunch.

If that didn't help, check the clutches; is the belt riding just outside the secondary when it's stopped? If the belt is narrow or the clutches are dirty or have worn parts, you can also bog...

·
Registered
814 Posts
You mentioned you tried pulling the choke with no effect- pulling the choke on a warm engine should have a drastic effect. You may have a stuck choke plunger in one or both carbs.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally posted by BC_Dan
[br]I would clean the pilot jets in the carbs... you an also try to adjust the air screw (in is less air, more fuel, out is more air, less fuel). If adjusting the air screw doesn't make any difference, then the pilot jet circuit is probably clogged.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it less air, less fuel and out is more air, more fuel. The air screw lets air flow through the ports in the carb. If you move more air through those ports, it moves more fuel as well, and the opposite is true as well.

It is not as if that air screw is controlling all of the air the engine is getting at idle.

Kind of like when you hit the gas and that slide opens up, twice as much air is moving through the carb, which sucks twice as much fuel up through the main jet...of course the needle comes in to play there but you get the principal.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
is it clutched to the right settings?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The 500 i'm working on is good from idle to about 3000 and then it loses all power and seems like it hits a rev limter at 4k. Know if you are going down hill or able to get it to jump that dead spot it runs like a raped ape. I cleaned the pilot jets and every other piece of those carbs. I have also noticed it to run rich through all this time. I've got compression, i think i've got the fuel, Last should be spark. If anyone has a cdi for this machine that they would like to sell please contact me.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Turning the air screw in will richen the air fuel ratio of the pilot jet circuit, as you are choking off the air. Turning it out will lean the mixture ratio. The screw controls the flow of air through the passage which determines if the ratio is rich or lean. In is richer, out is leaner.

If it's a fuel screw, such as on a chainsaw, IN would be less fuel, OUT would be more fuel. Because it's an air screw, the opposite applies.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
that is about opposite of what my 600 xlt is

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Originally posted by LakesOfTheNorth_rider
[br]check if it is clutched to the right settings and check the choke plungers
on mine???????????

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey, Just a little input. I have a 98 indy 500, a wore a belt down and had the same symptoms. I have also had some problems with it bogging due to being pig rich from the factory. I went down to 340's instead of 350's, but I left the pilot the same, just backed off the screw about a 1/4 turn. That seemed to do it for me, however, the most drastic bog that I experienced was from the clutch/belt problems, I would look to that first, especially if the problem didnt happen from just sitting over the summer.... If it did just happen when you pulled it out this year, I would definitely suck all the fuel out of it, put new fuel in, mine has always been picky about bad fuel, and then if the problem persists, check the fuel pump, it it seems like it is starving, it probably is.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Originally posted by xjcherokee95
[br]I have a 97 indy 500 and it seems like it loading up when I first take off then it comes out of it. After riding for about 30 minutes and stopping when I try to take off it just lugs down and doesn't make any power at all. Ive tried to pull the choke and that doesn't help at all. if and when I fianlly get going it comes right out of it and pulls great. around 4 grand it comes into it.
The one thing that makes me nervous is that it wont make power after you have been on it for a while, this may be serious, but it could also be a simple vacuum in the fuel tank. Mine did the same thing when it blew a base gasket and melted down, only it happened in a matter of 40 miles, not over a very long period of time...if you check everything else, and find nothing, check the compression and just make sure it is right on. Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid, but just a thought, because I have been on the trail with those symptoms, and then was soon walking...

·
Registered
855 Posts
I too had a 97 indy 500 that bogged off the line I never fixed it b/c I sold it but I was going to check the primary clutch and clean both carbs but like jkolkind said they were pig rich I would check your primary and re jet that sucker.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Originally posted by RXL95
[br]Having the same exact problem witha a 95. i'm thinking cdi.
why would you think cdi?? if they go you dont get spark??

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I think the spark is breaking down. i don't have alot of expierience with the ignitions on snowmobiles but on a certain car ignitions they run like crap and others just won't run. I've cleaned the carbs, Changed the belt checked the clutching. And My other thing is that sometimes it runs awesome sometimes like crap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i also have that same sled takes me a sec to get moving but once i am 75- 80 easy but in the trails i might as well be riding a kitty kat how did you do it i dragged up and down the lake all day my final pass felt it loose power a little but then i parked it not thinking anything was wrong the next day...junk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts