Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to snowmobiling (well not since 1978 and a Kawasaki 440 Invader) and just bought this sled. It is in excellent condition with just a little over 900 miles, been stored for awhile. Can anyone tell me a little about these xlt's, what kind of sled is it, horsepower etc? Good points and bad points, what to look out for. Also where can I get a service manual for it. Waiting for snow....Thanks.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
97 was a good year for the xlt, not much to watch for.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
We have the same sled. Clean the carbs change the gas if still in there from last year , grease everything and it should be ready to go. It is a nice sledand has around 80 or 90 horse. Ours has around 5000 miles on it and its still running strong. Have fun this winter and welcome to the site

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have the same sled as you. Can't tell you much about it since I have only got to put about 200 miles on it since I picked it up about three years ago. (Iowa winters bite). Anyway, I've been happy with it the little bit I have ridden it. You can get a manual from a dealer #9913263. It covers sleds from 96-98. Be prepared though, I spent $100.00 smackers for mine. I tried e-bay and a few other places but never could find a used one. Welcome to the sight and if you want any info about the sled before you get a manual just pm me or put out a post and someone on this awesome site will get you the answers you need.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the reponses. I'm looking forward to getting back into snowmobiling just waiting for some snow. Seems like this has been a fantastic winter so far minus snow but would like to try out the sled. Anxious to see how it rides and handles. Geeze man it's been almost 30 years since I wrenched on these things.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Originally posted by minnesotaderek
[br]when i looked it up it said they have 97 hp
That hp number is for the XLT SP.
The XLT LTD has 90hp.

73vette,here is some good info on the XLT's

http://www.geocities.com/schmidt92/polaris_faq.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by ACEXLT
[br]
Originally posted by minnesotaderek
[br]when i looked it up it said they have 97 hp
That hp number is for the XLT SP.
The XLT LTD has 90hp.

73vette,here is some good info on the XLT's

http://www.geocities.com/schmidt92/polaris_faq.html
Thanks for the link, interesting data. I should be happy with the xlt for awhile - I'm learnin'.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Surprised nobody mentioned the oil issue. My 97 does NOT have the 4 line oil pump. Drilled out the oil holes in the case just to make sure oil is getting to PTO bearings. Don't clutch or pipe it over 8200-8400 rpm or so and you should be fine.
Overall a very nice sled. I have about 4000 miles on mine with no problems.
D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Dman
[br]Surprised nobody mentioned the oil issue. My 97 does NOT have the 4 line oil pump. Drilled out the oil holes in the case just to make sure oil is getting to PTO bearings. Don't clutch or pipe it over 8200-8400 rpm or so and you should be fine.
Overall a very nice sled. I have about 4000 miles on mine with no problems.
D
Luckily for me mine has the external oil line to pto bearing. I don't intend to beat on it so am hoping for a trouble free ride. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts