Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 97 Mountain max with 2k miles on it. I have ridden it a bit but it stalls out unless I keep it revving at 3k rpms or more, if I take my hand off the throttle it just dies like I turned the key off. whats steps should I go through to try to find the problem? I may just bring it to a shop and have them go through it, I am not real familier with these.

·
Registered
474 Posts
It sounds like a fuel starvation problem in the carbs. Will it stay running if you leave the choke on for a few seconds? You may need to get the carbs all cleaned out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If pilot, air jet are clean, and idel is set Try pulling off a plug cap and put another spark plug in it start the engine (if you can) see if it is sparking when you let off gas. Do you need throttle to start?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think youmay be correct as far as fuel stavation, it seems if I pump the throttle, then pull the choke out and start it it will start but will only run if i rev it up, if I take my hand off the throttle, even after its warmed up it just dies.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 96 mountain max did the same thing. I just pulled the carbs and cleaned them all out. I suggest doing this and cleaning them real good. Itll only take you 10 mins to pull the carbs. Just be shure to clean the jets real good.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
clean carbs, check jetting. if your not really mechanical just take it in to a good reliabel shop

·
Registered
25 Posts
Its not to hard to do. look at it before you take it into a shop.
The carbs come off real easy. Dont waist your money if you dont have to. Save it for something extra[:D]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will try cleaning them and see what happens, I thik this may be all I need but if not I have a place I can bring it to have them check it out. I want to get it up and running since we have real good snow were I live at Snoqualmie Pass in WA and its basically been snowing non-stop since last wednesday, about 4' now.

·
Registered
841 Posts
So is this a 600 twin or a 700 triple.???
It's really not that difficult to clean the carbs unless you know nothing about them. Then it is not a waste of $$$$ to bring it in to a shop.
This link may help you or scare you.......check out the tech section at http://www.totallyamaha.com/
There is a complete breakdown including pictures on how to clean the carbs.
Good luck[:)]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts