Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughters teacher has a 97 mt. max thats piped, performance head, only 1500 mi. and he wants to sell it. He is asking 1500, what do you think? Its in PERFECT cond. and the only local sled that I have seen for sale around here. Can you guys tell me about the sled, pros and cons? Im not sure what brand the aftermarket parts are, I only got to look at it for a second, going to check it out good tonight. It started right up and that triple sounded mean as heck. Im intrested if its a good sled, but I have never rode ANY yammerjammer sled, Ive had a few yz,s and they were good bikes. Thanks!!![:D]

·
Registered
368 Posts
its your typicall nearly bullet proof yamaha redhead triple. there werent really any issues with those sleds that i am aware of. rides not bad and there is a ton of performance stuff you can do to it. pipes on it already were good for about a 30 hp punch. curious what pipe and head combo is on it. depending on that, the only thing i would be concerned with is correct jetting.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Those are nice sleds, they are on the heavy side but still a nice sled. That non power valve 700 red head will go forever. The suspension isn't great but its easy to improve. On the front you can install SXR radius rods and shocks and that will add quite a bit of travel and better ride. On the rear install a Cat, Ski-Doo or Polaris skid and you'll have one awesome sled. The Yamaha rear skids are very heavy and don't give you much travel, they also have some weak spots. Post some pics if you get a chance.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Pics would definetly help, sounds like a good sled. I'm
not sure of the price but it depends on what exactly it is.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Be sure to check the W bracket in the front of the rear suspension; they are prone to rust and break. Great motors that run a long time (10,000 miles +). I'm from Michigan; but from here, the price sounds right.

I can even make you a deal on a low smoked windshield for it; this old man just put the standard height one on for the warmth!

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Excitabletom said:
Be sure to check the W bracket in the front of the rear suspension; they are prone to rust and break. Great motors that run a long time (10,000 miles +).
So true about that ( what I would call ) cross beam, but w-bracket works just as well. My dad picked up a blown 2000 or 2001 SXr 700 and rebuilt it by buying another blown up Vmax 700. Used the suspension parts he needed ( including the w-bracket ), and the crank, then ordered brand new pistons. Coming off of a SnoPro 440 at the time it was truley a blast to ride. The SXr and Vmax 700 are basically the same thing as the mountain max, just not long tracks. The weight didn't seem noticable when riding it. In places where I couldnt do over 45 in a corner on my SnoPro, this thing was eating them up at 65+. An of course, you can't beat that smooth running famous yamaha triple power.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right on!!! I didnt look at it last night but my wife and I are heading over today for sure. I am bringing the camera so you guys shuold see it by tonight, god Im so stoked!!!

·
Registered
863 Posts
sledcrusher said:
Excitabletom said:
Be sure to check the W bracket in the front of the rear suspension; they are prone to rust and break. Great motors that run a long time (10,000 miles +).
So true about that ( what I would call ) cross beam, but w-bracket works just as well. My dad picked up a blown 2000 or 2001 SXr 700 and rebuilt it by buying another blown up Vmax 700. Used the suspension parts he needed ( including the w-bracket ), and the crank, then ordered brand new pistons. Coming off of a SnoPro 440 at the time it was truley a blast to ride. The SXr and Vmax 700 are basically the same thing as the mountain max, just not long tracks. The weight didn't seem noticable when riding it. In places where I couldnt do over 45 in a corner on my SnoPro, this thing was eating them up at 65+. An of course, you can't beat that smooth running famous yamaha triple power.
thats how you ride your dads stuff..?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
remember its sledcrusher...his stuff is his dads stuff

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
It was a spare sled that was dirt cheap. If I ever did that riding his actual sled he'd open up a can of whoop ass on me.

·
Registered
863 Posts
sledcrusher said:
It was a spare sled that was dirt cheap. If I ever did that riding his actual sled he'd open up a can of whoop ass on me.
yeah.. i bet..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts