Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 Polaris Indy 500 Card starts with one pull some of the time. Other times I have to hold the throttle open and pull on it 20 times or more. Weather does not seem to play a factor. Why would it be doing this? How can I fix it? Plugs are new, idles fine once it has started, and runs like a champ. I cannot figure it out. Please HELP!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
i would suspect either waterlogged floats, stuck floats, or a bad inlet valve in one of the carbs. Any one of these symptoms would cause too much gas to enter the carbs and flood the engine. If you have to hold the throttle open while you are pulling to start the engine, that is an indication of flooding. I would say rebuild the carbs or at the very least take them apart and clean them, and that should fix your problem.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I was just thinking if the carbs were flooding that they would probably effect idle as well . you said it idles fine, so i suggest the problem might be the starter circuit of the carbs. there is a brass plunger that controls the amount of fuel sucked up from the float bowls. follow your choke cable to the carbs and using a 12 mm wrench remove the plungers and check their operation.they must both lift completely off their seat for the starter circuit to work properly. I agree with the others that the carbs should be removed and cleaned especially the port that goes from the starter circuit to the float bowl.

·
Registered
13 Posts
[When you hit the kill switch air and fuel mixture continues to flow to the engine un till it has stopped. Make sure the engine is not idleing above factory specs. Check air screw turns for specs. If no specs, (some one here may know) lean 1/4 turn from where they are at now. If hesitation accurs on acceleration enrichen idle circuit ( turn screw in) just enough for proper acceleration. Will be watching for the results.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys rock!!
Thanks for the advice, I am going to tear into it this weekend and start by cleaning the carbs. If this doesn't do it I will try the other suggestions. Thanks again for all the help!
I welcome any other suggestions!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts