Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

My buddy and I decided to split on a 97 Polaris Ultra Touring with the 680 triple engine. When we went to pick it up the owner told us that there was a fuel issue, so when we got there he pulled fuel from the tank and put in the carbs and it started right up. It sounded like it ran on all three so we decided to grab it.

We got it to my buddies place and it took a couple days before I could get out there to work on it. We pulled the carbs off right away and they were bone dry inside. We cleaned both the Pilot and Main jets and floats seemed to look fine. We threw the carbs back on and a new fuel filter I picked up at Princess Auto '' Canadian Harbor Freight''. We hooked the sled up to a 12 volt source '' Car battery'' to turn it over and get it running.

It started right up and was running excellent for the 5 minutes it was hooked up to the battery. So we said ok lets take it for a spin in the yard to make sure it runs good. Unhooked it from the 12V source and drove into the yard, within 5 minutes the sled wouldn't rev high enough for the clutch to engage and then died on the spot. We couldn't get it running long enough to get back out of the yard so it sat there for a couple days until I could return.

II did some research and read that it could possibly be the fuel filter in the tank that could be clogged or the fuel pump that needed attention, I went ahead and ordered a rebuild kit for the fuel pump and picked up new plugs as well as the filter for the tank. We got the new gaskets on the pump, the filter in the tank actually looks fine however I could hardly blow air through the line. We grabbed the air compressor and blew air into the line from both the inside of the tank and at the fitting that enters the tank, something definitely cleared out as we heard a thump and then could easily blow through the line. We changed all the fuel lines and placed everything back onto the sled, we got it started but again wouldn't rev enough to engage the clutch and died again. Seems that fuel is still not getting to the fuel filter right before the shut-off valve. We then decided to pull the the line off the front of the gas tank and place it into a container of fuel to get it going.

We were able to get the sled to the front of the house where it died on us again, it still doesn't seem to want to suck any fuel even though we have a separate fuel supply. What could be the issue here? Is a battery really needed to run the sled correctly? I assume that the fuel issue wouldn't have anything to do with no battery present?

The only other thing I can think about is a vacuum issue but the impulse line seems fine from what I could see and feel with my hand... I should maybe change it anyways, what I don't understand is how this system works, how can vacuum pull fuel yet the fuel doesn't go down the impulse line?

Looking for guidance as to what I can do next, there is spark as well!

Thank you and I apologize for the long story,

Mitch

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Everyone,

My buddy and I decided to split on a 97 Polaris Ultra Touring with the 680 triple engine. When we went to pick it up the owner told us that there was a fuel issue, so when we got there he pulled fuel from the tank and put in the carbs and it started right up. It sounded like it ran on all three so we decided to grab it.

We got it to my buddies place and it took a couple days before I could get out there to work on it. We pulled the carbs off right away and they were bone dry inside. We cleaned both the Pilot and Main jets and floats seemed to look fine. We threw the carbs back on and a new fuel filter I picked up at Princess Auto '' Canadian Harbor Freight''. We hooked the sled up to a 12 volt source '' Car battery'' to turn it over and get it running.

It started right up and was running excellent for the 5 minutes it was hooked up to the battery. So we said ok lets take it for a spin in the yard to make sure it runs good. Unhooked it from the 12V source and drove into the yard, within 5 minutes the sled wouldn't rev high enough for the clutch to engage and then died on the spot. We couldn't get it running long enough to get back out of the yard so it sat there for a couple days until I could return.

II did some research and read that it could possibly be the fuel filter in the tank that could be clogged or the fuel pump that needed attention, I went ahead and ordered a rebuild kit for the fuel pump and picked up new plugs as well as the filter for the tank. We got the new gaskets on the pump, the filter in the tank actually looks fine however I could hardly blow air through the line. We grabbed the air compressor and blew air into the line from both the inside of the tank and at the fitting that enters the tank, something definitely cleared out as we heard a thump and then could easily blow through the line. We changed all the fuel lines and placed everything back onto the sled, we got it started but again wouldn't rev enough to engage the clutch and died again. Seems that fuel is still not getting to the fuel filter right before the shut-off valve. We then decided to pull the the line off the front of the gas tank and place it into a container of fuel to get it going.

We were able to get the sled to the front of the house where it died on us again, it still doesn't seem to want to suck any fuel even though we have a separate fuel supply. What could be the issue here? Is a battery really needed to run the sled correctly? I assume that the fuel issue wouldn't have anything to do with no battery present?

The only other thing I can think about is a vacuum issue but the impulse line seems fine from what I could see and feel with my hand... I should maybe change it anyways, what I don't understand is how this system works, how can vacuum pull fuel yet the fuel doesn't go down the impulse line?

Looking for guidance as to what I can do next, there is spark as well!

Thank you and I apologize for the long story,

Mitch
Hi if the fuel tank is not full it is hard to start on most carb sleds. You can also blow into tank and block off the breather tube but its easier to fill tank. The battery makes no difference Good luck.

Hip

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Back with some updates after some testing. I took the gas tank off my pit bike and hooked the gas line to it, I sat the tank up on top of the handle bars so that it was nice and high. When I opened the valve, no fuel came down until I blew into the breather hose then the sled ran without any issues, didn't run out of fuel or nothing.

While swapping the line back onto the sled, my buddy sat on the seat and fuel started pissing out the nipple coming out of the tank, he got off and it stopped... I don't know what that means but anyways I put the fuel line back on. My buddy said to me, let's try putting one of those fuel lines with the built in hand pump (Those you use on your tin boat). We put that on, gave it a few pumps and fuel was flowing and the sled ran perfectly.

After that we decided to throw the line back on as normal and started her up, she ran and then eventually ran out of fuel and died.

A couple things we observed, if you sit on the seat you can hear air coming out the gas cap, so there's a leak there at the gasket but I don't think that would be enough to not have fuel flowing. We have new fuel lines all around, we rebuilt the fuel pump and new fuel filter. The in-tank filter is also free of debris and the line is clear.

I do not understand why as soon as it's hooked up to the tank why it won't flow. Does anyone have any pictures of how the vent lines should be ran or if anyone would have any idea of what I can do next?

I'm pretty stumped. We're lucky now that we have all summer to figure this out as well.. I just want it running as it should.

Thanks everyone.

Mitch

1 - 3 of 3 Posts