Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about picking up one of these sleds and have heard there were troubles in the past with breaking chains and belts as well as other problems in the chaincase?? Can you guys offer any info on this?? Also looking for any other input on the Ultra, good or bad.
Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
757 Posts
Great We have a 97 ultra and it is so fast. the powerband on it is ridiculous.we have not had a problem yet.not the lightest of sleds though.good luck

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have a 97 sp and love it. I have psi pipes on it and the power is awsome. I did have the chain just break on it 2 weeks ago. It was loose and my brother decided to ride it any way and snaped it. Other than that i haven't had any major problems with it. I would buy another one if i could get a deal on one.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I owned an Ultra SPX SE couple years ago, and put 2500 miles on it in one winter. No problems except for the water pump seal.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I might wanna just get it checked out to be safe?? I would hate to have it take a dump on my first trip out! Is the chaincase in the Ultra fairly easy to get to?? I'm just not a sled mechanic

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Well I do not see why 97s would be much different then 96s, so I have had 2 96s, and logged 18k miles between the two, and blown 1 belts, and never a issue with anything else!

-Skip

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was reading some other forums on a couple sites and guys were saying that the 96/97's had troubles with clutching and chaincase issues?? On another point, I never run studs, but this potential sled has studs, how close do they get to the tunnel?? Will I be able to peak under there and seee any damage?? Like i said, I'm no mechanic, not afraid to get greasy, but really have no background with sled stuff.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I had a 97 spx se and that thing was fast as hell.. I did have my engine blow because the water pump screwed up but other then that it was an awesome sled.. I would definetely buy another one

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, that's the 2nd time I've heard of water pump issues too. I guess I need to dig a little deeper on this guy huh???

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I had water pump failure at 9800 miles on my SP which did not supries me. If a case reed triple has over 6k miles, plan on a waterpump some time.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
First: I have never heard of any chaincase problems, or belt problems with any of the Ultra's of any year. To rebuild a waterpump requires about 2 hours, and $80.00 of parts. Pull the pipes, remove the four (4) waterpump bolts (after draining the coolant), and proceed to disassemble. Once disassembled, proceed to re-assemble. I have done this twice now, and it is very easy. If you don't feel comfortable working with it, pull off the pump and take it to you local polaris dealer and have them do it. Just buy the parts beforehand so you don't have to wait if anything needs to be ordered.
[attachment=58973]
You will need the following:
3085286 BEARING, BALL #4
3085145 BALLBEARING #7
3085149 O-RING,(WATER PUMP SHAFT) #6
3085151 GASKET,(PUMP CASING 1) #10
3085271 GASKET, WATER PUMP #19
3085175 PLATE,SEALING #17
3085384 SEAL, MECHANICAL #16
3084461 O-RING (W/P Outlet) Not shown on the diagram, but in the diagram of the Ultra cylinder
If yours is really fried, you may need the impeller ($36.00) and the impellor bolt which has a special rubber gasket on it.
The water pumps generally need rebuild every 4k-5k miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
The Ultra SPX Was a aggressive chassis and the SP was a standard wedge. The motors where a little different also. It's not fair to compare the two. In some areas they are identical, but others very different. You didn't specify which model your talking about.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I owned an SPX SE and an SP. The engines are tight - the waterpump is definately a main issue. The teeth on my waterpump stripped out and caused my engine to overheat. :( The factory triple pipes are sweet - but the chassis is like driving a tank around.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Originally posted by batman911
[br]Great We have a 97 ultra and it is so fast. the powerband on it is ridiculous.we have not had a problem yet.not the lightest of sleds though.good luck
The aggressive chassis was a tad heavy, but the wedge only weighed 509 lbs with steel skis, so with a set of plastic skis its not too far off the weight of todays "light weight" twins..I've got 4000 miles on my 97 SP and ZERO problems with chaincase or waterpump (yet) and that's running with SLP pipes...[:D]

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I had one and loved it. No issues. Mine was a gas pig- that is my only compliant!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the input guys. To be clear, I'm looking at the Ultra SP 97. So far, it's a toss up. I think this guy is gonna back out of the trade, so we'll see how it all pans out. I questioned him on a couple things you've brought up and it seems like he got a little squeamish. Hmmm. Makes me wonder.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Originally posted by GMANN
[br]I had one and loved it. No issues. Mine was a gas pig- that is my only compliant!
That just means you were ridein it like it was supposed to be ridden!! [:D]

·
Registered
394 Posts
well i have owned my 97 Ultra SPX and i absolutley love mine, little heavy but its still worth it when you get on the gas, i did have the bearing behind the chaincase go last year, and my cousins 96 Ultra SP blew a water pump but its a cheap fix if you catch it in time, great sled, love em

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have a 1996 Ultra sp and I love it it has 5400 miles on it just rebuilt it this year just for some insurance and I also redid the water pump last year.As far as the chain giving any problems the only thing was it came apart like three or four years ago then I switched it to a hyvo gear set 39-18 works like a hot dam.The motor is stock no pipes yet just a dg can I love that as well sounds great.I wouldn't be scared to buy it as long as its been looked after.Good luck

1 - 20 of 26 Posts