Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to adjust the carbs on my 600 and have a few questions. I synched the carbs with an 11/32 drill bit and had my air screws at 3/4 turn. Was idling high at about 2300 rpm. I turned out the idle speed screws all the way out and the idle did not change. I then adjusted the air screws in and the idle started to come down. Idle was still high so I turned air screws all the way in to seat and idle came down to about 1800 rpm. Should the motor be able to run with the air screws all the way in? Is the sync gap of 11/32 to big?

Also, with the motor running I used my hand to choke off each carb and noticed that when I choked off the pto carb, it had no effect. The mid and mag carbs being choked off caused the motor to stall. Could the carb boot for the pto carb be leaking allowing the motor to run while choked off by hand? Thanks for any and all help.

Steve

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Are your cables tight not allowing the slides to close on to the adjusters? When you say 11/32 bit, do you mean you adjusted the slide opening to that? or did you just use that as a guideline with the throttle partially open? I would not run with the air screws closed off.

For the pto side, it sounds like a problem with the choke plunger. Did you feel the exhaust on that cylinder? Does it get hot like the other two? Possibly need to turn the choke adjuster in a little on that carb?

Maybe read through and see if you may have missed anything.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/116932/display.aspx

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bench synched the carbs to 11/32 per manual specs. I had just painted my ex. manifold with 500 degree engine paint and the pto side did not bubble up at all, but the mag side bubbled up big time. I checked the air screw and it was turned out more that the other two. I will check my choke plunger to see if it is stuck. Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read the post that you referred to and I did not remove the carbs and set slide gap from engine side of carbs. Is this truly necessary? I just synched from airbox side with carbs on the motor.

Steve

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
steve53 said:
I read the post that you referred to and I did not remove the carbs and set slide gap from engine side of carbs. Is this truly necessary? I just synched from airbox side with carbs on the motor.

Steve
I don't think it's really necessary, but that's just how I do it. Usually when I pull carbs off, I go through them and clean them out really good, so they are already off. I go off the engine side to set the slide height.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts