Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've run 260 miles on my rebuilt 97 Storm. The rebuild was full top end w/ 1 replaced cylinder and partial bottom end (all center bearings). The cause of the failure in the first place was a broken skirt in the center cylinder as a result of over worn rings.
I check the compression on the sled cold a few days ago and got 133 on all 3 holes. The carbs are tuned and the sled is running perfect. The main jets are one level smaller than stock for my alt/temp... this is the way it came from the previous owner. Needle jet/jet needle are stock, clip in position 3, also stock. The airscrew stock setting is 1 turn but when I ran it there it was a bit boggy and would load up. I backed the airscrew out to 1 3/4 and the sled is nice and crisp. My question is are the leaner than stock setting on the carb within a normal range for this sled? Someone told me that clutch changes might call for different carb settings. I know the secondary has a stiffer spring but I'm unsure of the primary configuration. I've kept a close eye on the plugs and they seem good. I attached pictures below although the light is not the best. They are part tan, part dark brown (not sure how this corrilates to intake/exaust sides but I could mark the plugs and check if it matters).
[attachment=58436]

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
polaris started jetting their sleds for oxygenated (ethanol)
fuel in '96.

if you are not using it, a main jet one size
smaller is where you should be.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts