Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 weeks ago i purchased a 97 ultra spx with only 2400 miles on it and was clearly taken very good care of. no scratches, or cracks, 192 studs, reverse. I took it out for the first real ride and i had a serious bog from acceleration and even at times at higher speeds. a good friend of ours works at a sled shop close by and he took it only to realize the carbs needed to be synced, and whoever put the aftermarket clutch kit in it did it ass backwards. but after a few hours labor, this thing runs strong as ever! i cant wait to get this thing out on the lakes in a couple weeks

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Even as heavy as that aggressive chaissis is, those SPX's were rockets!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, as soon as i speak the positives, i think something is still wrong. id like to know if anyone has any sort of input. i just road down to some trails near my house and put a total of 25 miles on. i noticed that when i come to a stop after warm it idles at 3000 for about 7 or 8 seconds and then drops to 14-1500 where i believe it should be. theres also a slight bog right from stopped when you pin it but when it reaches 30 mph its gone and runs strong as ever. also, when i stop and it idles at that 3000, if i pin it right after it bogs as if you just started a cold engine and pin it right away before it clears itself out. any suggestions? maybe a jetting issue? i know theres been a lot of ultra topics with similar issues but i couldnt find any with this exact problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
polarisripper28 said:
^^mine does that same thing.
brutal! im so frustrated. im not fully confident of taking it up north next week. i dont wanna end up on the side of the trails being towed out. i dont think its too serious but i just dont like it not running perfect. please help us lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
polarisripper28 said:
same with me. i dont have any snow yet so i cant even test it out.
Massachusettes? yeah, im in canada so we've had plenty for about a month now in a lot of areas. im determined to get this fixed. if i learn anything i'll let you know, same with you to me if you don't mind.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Its high idling, a lot of sleds do it. mine usually only takes around 5 seconds to come down to around 2 grand and then finally drops to 1500. More annoying than anything else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Empire087 said:
Its high idling, a lot of sleds do it. mine usually only takes around 5 seconds to come down to around 2 grand and then finally drops to 1500. More annoying than anything else.
yeah ive owned a few sleds but none have done this to me. they usually drop within a few seconds. the bog is the biggest problem

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Get the motor hot, then stop and toss in a fresh set of plugs..

Rip a couple hundred feet to get the plugs hot then let it idle and do it's boggy thing, then pull the plugs again to look at them. See if they're wet.

Sounds like the oil pump might not be turning off, and it's starting to load up with oil. Then when you rip again, it cleans out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:

Rip a couple hundred feet to get the plugs hot then let it idle and do it's boggy thing, then pull the plugs again to look at them. See if they're wet.

Sounds like the oil pump might not be turning off, and it's starting to load up with oil. Then when you rip again, it cleans out.
I'll give that a shot tomorrow after gift opening lol. Here it is xmas eve and i've got my sled on my mind. I appreciate the input, i'll let you know how it goes. Any idea on how much an oil pump will run me if it turned out to be that?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
to advance the timing do you rotate the stator plate clockwise or counter clockwise? how much?

·
Registered
41 Posts
97Ultraman said:
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:

I'll give that a shot tomorrow after gift opening lol. Here it is xmas eve and i've got my sled on my mind. I appreciate the input, i'll let you know how it goes. Any idea on how much an oil pump will run me if it turned out to be that?
there one on ebay fo 15.00 if that doesnt help the timing might
i messed with mine for days went up and down in jet sizes then wondered one day if the timing would help and it fixed it

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i do like the timing idea what way do you turn it clockwise or counter clock wise?

·
Registered
41 Posts
polarisripper28 said:
i do like the timing idea what way do you turn it clockwise or counter clock wise?
i cant remeber i look into it though i did it last year and my mind just went blank

young_and_dumb said:
polarisripper28 said:
i cant remeber i look into it though i did it last year and my mind just went blank
its counter clockwise

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
97Ultraman said:
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:

We did the 'opening' last night, so I'm going out for a ride as soon as I'm done here.. [thumb]

The oil pump return spring is probably filled with years worth of crud, and cleaning it will allow it to return completely. (providing that is the problem)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Before you start going after the timing, have you dropped your pilot jets down and turned your air screws?? Have you went through both clutches?? What RPM does it engage at??? As far as the step down in RPMs from stop to idle It just does that Don't worry about it. If mine doesn't step down then I'm worried. All in all before you go after the timing be alittle more detailed on what has been done in the carbs and clutching. [thumb]

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
on the spx if you are at 1500 rpm and hit full throttle as fast as you can a slight bog is normal.
but bogging at 30 is not normal.
try dropping the needle one position, that will clean up the mid range.

like any jetting change if you make a change in the mid range, with new plugs drive for a few minutes at a time in that range checking plugs often until you start to see color.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts