Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went riding for awhile today. Was running real good. started smelling a strong oil smell halfway through... got almost to my buddies house and started acting boggy. made it to my buddys and shut it off and couldnt get it to start again. pulled plugs and have great spark. But when I pulled plugs the recoil side was slammed shut. Pulled piston to top and it looked fine just a tiny small dimple where it hit. put a new plug in and pulled my A$$ off and never got anything. plugs never got wet or nothing. Havent check compression yet but my buddy held his thumb over all the plug holes and he said I didnt have nothing for compression. Were thinking crank seals? Anyone have any opinions?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
sounds like you may have melted a piston.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Wouldnt that mean like a hole in the piston or something like that? otherwise you would at least be getting some compression.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Crank seals have no effect on compression readings. Compression readings only take into account the areas between BDC and TDC.

What do you mean by "But when I pulled plugs the recoil side was slammed shut"?

·
Registered
718 Posts
when there's no compression it usually means the rings are gone. it's possible that you could have a hole in your piston too. to be sure of melt down. try taking off your pipe(s) and look through the exhaust.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Recoil side slammed shut as in piston hit the bottom of plug slamming the gap shut.

No holes visable from the top. Prob tear it apart this weekend

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Lost the needle bearings in the the connecting rod. Anyways, pull the top, cylinders off. You will get a really good look at the problem

1 - 11 of 11 Posts