Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys this weekend im taking my sled to get clutched the guy whos doing it said he wants to bore it out to .2 over think its worth it?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no it hasn't. i've known this guy for a few years and he used to be in hill cross and watercross on a yamaha he was sayign that if i want to make my sled perform the way i want ti to thats what i shoudl look into.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
That is a twin right? I have the same motor, but I don't really see you gaining much by boring it, but then again i may be wrong. The clutching will definately help though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
oh i see. i have a 98 sx 700 i love the way it preforms and handles. the throttel responce is amazing. a friend has the same sled you do he piped, clutched. and put racing pistons in his sled and that little thing flys! as far as boaring it $$$.

·
Registered
841 Posts
he wants to bore it out to .2 over
What exactly are you talking about?
You have nickasil cylinders and you just don't go boring those out. If the cylinders are damaged you need to get them re-nicked. (but you said they were ok).
I'm not even sure if oversized pistons are available.
And even if you could, boring it .020 over isn't going to give you more performance.

There's lots of other little tweaks you can do to that sled including clutching that will wake it up.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dutchman i dont really know all he said is what we should do to it to make it perform better. i was tryign to get some input from you guys.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im plannign on clutching it. and if not enough then bore it out.

·
Registered
528 Posts
If the guy wants to bore a nicasil cylinder .200" over then I'd say he probably doesn't know what he is doing and I wouldn't let him touch my clutches.

With that said it's quite possible that this guy is a total guru and is going to do a big bore kit for you but that's going to cost major coin.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Originally posted by neal
[br]oh i see. i have a 98 sx 700 i love the way it preforms and handles. the throttel responce is amazing. a friend has the same sled you do he piped, clutched. and put racing pistons in his sled and that little thing flys! as far as boaring it $$$.
The 700 was a triple, the '97 600 was a twin. Those 2 engines are vastly different.
Personally, I would not bore your engine out. The only time you should bore an engine out is if you blow the motor up and somehow damage the cylinder walls.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Originally posted by daman
[br]did you read my above post???
I really doubt it, maybe we should let him try, then we will have something else to write about when he starts a thread asking us why he fried his motor.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Originally posted by obsessed
[br]
Originally posted by daman
[br]did you read my above post???
I really doubt it, maybe we should let him try, then we will have something else to write about when he starts a thread asking us why he fried his motor.
LOL, yup whatever..

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
we went there yesterday added 5 grams to the weights. put a green spring in and did something to the heads which i didint understand. he was also talkign abotu pulling part of the head gasket out? yes i did look at your post i wasnt sure what you meant do some thing to the head gasket.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yup i have and allways will run the best gas i can get. i figure im just gonna run rich for awhile once we work on the head gaskets. better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
now all we need is more snow to try out the 5 gram weights, spring and see how they work

1 - 20 of 21 Posts