Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinkin about purchasing a 1997 Vmax SX700. It's has stock exhaust, & carbs. Only upgrade is the primary clutch has differnt weights. Sled has 3500 miles.

Has anyone heard anything about this sled? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks![:D]

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Matter of fact a buddy of mine has the exact sled, he put a rumble pack on it....holy chit is it loud! He has probely 4500 miles on his though, just took it in to the shop to have it gone through. Only problem was something with the oil pump, I think dumping to much oil... not sure what he's gonna due with that though. He's had the sled for 3 or 4 years with no problems execpt the oil pump. Sled is very fast, how much do they want for it????

·
Registered
506 Posts
my dad has one and all I have to say is that those sleds SCREAM, wicked power for a single pipe, but a few problems from the factory. you'll want to replace the steel skis with skins with some genuine plastic skis. the travel isn't all that long, but if you have it set-up right, it's no big deal, just the handleing concern mostly. The 97's are also prone to carb freezing, '98 and up they have heated carbs, that frame is bad for getting ice on the carbs, generally it's best to start the sled, drive it around the yard once, then lift the hood and throw your gloves down across the engine and over the carbs, that gets them heated up, wait 2-3 mins and your ready to rock. My dad just upgraded fromn his '97 SX to a viper and misses the power of the SX, the viper is rated at somthing like 6 hp more, but you'd never know it. SX motors also like to spin fast, book powerband is something like 8400rpm, but it's my theory that it's only that low 'cause of the clutches, that motor really likes it up around 9200 or so.

It's a very loud sled, a real screamer, but it's got that sweet triple tone.

I really like them, but depends on the rideing style, these sleds in my book are the winners of the "bang for the buck" award

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
3500 miles? hell it aint even broke in yet.these sleds were verry reliable and had reasonable power.but they are harder on oil than the other three brands.could be why you cant wear them out.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
nope upwards of 4000 miles is brakin it in thats when the fuel milege startes to b a flatter line

·
Registered
143 Posts
wow, all of my instuction manuals were wrong then, for all my sleds it says engine breakin is 300 miles or 10 hours of riding

1 - 7 of 7 Posts