Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I have a 97 Polaris XC 440. The engine head is red and say XCR special. Does any body know what it means. Was that engine special did that years XC have any mechanical problems on the 440. Also on the 97 440 when I turn the Handwarmers on high all the electrical instruments(head light tachometer and instrument lights and brake light goes dead. There is a little power in the head light but not much. And I think something is wrong with the clutch. I use to be able to accelerate fast but now it is a little slower in accelarating and in overall speed. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Hey welcome to TUSF!

The problem with the handwarms is probably just a short somewhere (i think) I'd just go over all the wires and make sure that nothing has been sliced etc. AND/OR your battery may just be about shot.

The acceleration stuff could be just about anything... It doesn't necesarly have to do with your clutch. You could clean up your carbs, and make sure that everything in that regard is ship share (I'm sure that someone will go into that in more detail)....

Anyways, Welcome and enjoy yourself...

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
671 Posts
you could also have a worn belt, i had that trouble once and it took me bout 3 days to figure out i had a bad belt, my belt looked jsut fine, but when i put antoerh belt on there it made it perfect

Ride it like you stole it!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
As far as i know, that engine should be good. I don't know of any notorious problems with those. My buddy has the exact same snowmobile, and the only problem he ever had was his stupidity. His jetting was incorrect (his fault) and he burned down a piston. But that can happen to anyone.

Like SledHead said, your acceleration problem could be one of many variables, so i'll just bring up one that is easy to find. Check the spring in your primary clutch (on the engine) to see if it is broken. Time and fatigue will eventually cause a spring to fail, and if it broke, your performance will suffer severely. It's an easy thing to check. They usually break towards the ends of the spring, not in the middle very often, so you'll have to look a little harder. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts