Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am converting my 97 xlt limited to a primer system because my choke cable is busted and the plungers are totally seized and corroded badly into the carb.
problem I have is I can't get suction from my primmer? my tank is almost empty but their is fuel in the tank, I am just wondering if their is a fuel pickup line in my tank that might be bad or is the pickup molded as part of the tank?
I can suck some fuel thru but it just drains back to the tank it won't hold any suction.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Yes, the pickup line is attached to the inside of the fitting that goes through the tank. That line is prone to crack, break, or fall off.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that was my assumption, I am hoping their a fitting to remove to get to this line? I can barely see where the line goes in the tank, looks like I need to remove the airbox to gain access.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
do you have pics of how you ran this? is the primer in the right way? you said you are pulling fuel but its running back to the tank which im assuming from being how many miles away from the sled that...
the fuel line in the tank is fine, im assuming the sled runs prior to you attempting this.
if its running back to the tank all the way from the carb end back then its an airleak somewhere past the primer bulb, i dont think the bulb should allow fuel to run back past it.
but to check the line in the tank which after thinking it still could be, if the line is cracked, then the foot valve is basically out of the equation, you should be able to fish the line out of the tank with a coat hanger.
does the fuel pump hold fuel to the pump or does it run back to the tank too?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nope fuel runs back to the tank from the pump. so my guess is I have a bad line. I don't have the primer hooked up yet, I just put in the T on the main line to test my primer before I cut the prime lines, and it won't suck fuel, It took forever the get the sled started last week when i started going over it, I had to dump fuel in the cyls to get it fired up. last winter it always started 2 pulls. so Sat Am I will check fuel lines, I had this same issue with my Gravely mower, when the tank was below half, found the lines in the tank were bad and it would suck air so this is my assumption on the polaris as well. full tank it ran fine. I have never run this sled this low on fuel since I just bought it end of season.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It is not uncommon to have to pour fuel in the cylinders to start it in the fall. Usually after it runs for a minute or two, the fuel pump will take up fuel and it will run.

Regarding your choke, If they are seized or corroded, there is a good possibility that they are not sealing and you may never get the sled to run properly. Pretty sure you can get the cables plungers and everything off ebay for cheap.

As XLT does not need a primer, other than for the first start of the year. I recommend that you fix your chokes and verify that your intake line is not broken. If the fuel is running back into the tank, you have air infiltration somewhere. you will need to check all your fuel lines and your pump. You can get at all these things easily once you have your airbox removed.

Fix it now before you are dealing with it on the trail at -20. The Fuel system is the most hateful thing to work on in the cold.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, had a bad fuel line. now it hold pressure just fine. Primers work and fuel stays in the line.
as for my Choke, one carb worked just fine, one was sticking and one is busted and seized solid! it is corroded so badly you cant even tell what is plunger and what is carb body. I tried everything except drilling it out. I decided to switch to a primer since I had one, and I just was too afraid that if I did get that plunger out my carb body would be shot do to corrosion and never seal again!
Last winter the sled ran perfect, but on first start it would run rough for a few minutes and my choke would not release I had to jiggle the cable then it would be fine. obviously it ran rough since one choke didn't work and then the other would stick.
now with the primer it starts first pull so I think I will stick with the primer and just cut the other 2 choke cables and seal them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts