Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking in to purchasing a 97 XLT. Didn't they have a bad pto bearing in the motor. That is what I think I have heard. It is the Lightweight tripple.
Are they dependable machine. How about the 1990 indy 500. Any thing wrong with them.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Willy,

I have a 97 XLT, which had to be rebuilt because of this problem. From what I understand some engines from that year had a problem with not enough oil going to the PTO side bearing. The bearing is not automatically bad but on some engines it fails due to lack of oil/lubrication. There is a modification which I had done on mine where you grind out the oil passage to make it bigger so it can get more lubrication. The American version of the 600 triple has an external oil line to prevent the PTO bearing from going dry. If the engine is running well and doesn't have the internal modification or the external line I would run the PTO side cylinder with stock or fat jets even if you rejetted the other cylinders. And use a good quality synthetic or semi-synthetic oil.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts