Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a sled that needs some help.i can scoop it for 400 bucks but it needs a new jug and piston.just wondering if anybody knows anything about this model???and if it would cost me an arm and a leg to get it fixed with me doing the work i dont know much about arctic cats or rebuilding them so im askin if any fellow SF members know anything at all it will be helpfull.sled has about 5,000 miles and appears to be in good shape.seems like a decent deal to me what do you think?

[attachment=55852] [attachment=55853]

[attachment=55857] [attachment=55858]

[attachment=55859] [attachment=55860]

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
it looks abused... needs prolly alot of tlc, unless u dont care how it looks. engine would be a bit to repair, so it might turn into a money pit. id personally pass. your call tho haha.

·
Registered
764 Posts
ya where do u see that its in decent shape? duct tape seat, paint is all scraped off on the tunnel, hood is cracked all over, engine would be maybe 500 to get a piston, jug and gasket set. Id so forget about it

·
Registered
137 Posts
400 is a bit much for that, probably worth more in the 200 range.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
PASS! [xx(] even at $200.00,,,by the time your done going through the engine and some cosmetics,$$$$ ouch! sorry man,just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ay thats why i ask the members cuz im still kinda new to the sled scene.thanks for your opinions guys and i think i may pass unless he gives it to me for free!!!hey you never know

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've been down this road before with an EXT Special. Got er free. Ended up investing over $3500 Canadian. There was nothing on the sled that didn' t fail every 3rd outing. You name, it failed. Very bad engineering basically. I'll never own another cat in my life again. Newer ones are claimed to be better, but I don't believe better than the others. My $.02. I have talked to salvage yards around the northern hemisphere who I ordered parts for the EXT. They make a good living off cats and claim the reliabilty is the worst. Hope the newer models are better.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Catman_zrt
[br]I'd pay to have it hauled out of my garage.

lol you guys really think its that bad of a deal i mean its not goin g to b my main sled im just thinkin about a project?i know they take money but i dont wanna spend a ton of it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ya I learned my lesson,cost me a pile to fix some junk,that was still junk.Pass,Add the money you think it would cost to fix,triple that and get a better sled with that totall.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I hope its a good sled i just bought a 96 ZRT 600

·
Registered
764 Posts
that sleds worth well more than 400 if you part it out, I just parted out a 96 zrt, got 200 out of the hood, 105 out of the clutches, 400 for the motor , 50 for the carbs, 85 for the pipes, and sitll have half a sled sittin in the garage

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The ZRT's and Cat triples from the '90's did have a lot of problems. But some of it had to with maintenance. I know people who know how to wrench them who have tons of miles on thiers. But the mechanics at the dealership I work at always laugh about them, especially when someone is trading one in and wondering why we are offering less than $500.00

·
Premium Member
15,519 Posts
How did I miss this thread? I am MR. ZRT and have done what your looking to do.

Just looking at that sleds pictures.. to make it ridable your going to need a seat cover and that motor work . That jug and piston on ebay used are around 100 bucks for both. Thats what I sold mine at in good shape. I even have a piston for that sled that I haven't taken off the junk motor I got.

Thats all you need mechanically? 100 bucks and you could get it up and running? Thats sweet.

I would offer the guy 200 bucks for it. Then maybe he will say yes.. or maybe 300

So..
300 for sled
125 for seat cover
100 for motor parts

525 and some elbow grease and your ready to Zip Rip and Tear [;)]

If if you painted up some parts and the hood... maybe have another 100 into it in base/clear paint.. 625 and you could have a very nice looking sled.

Here is what mine looked like when I bought it for 375$
[attachment=13304][attachment=13307]

The guy continued to drive it for 20 miles to get home after he heard the problem with the motor. Thats why the only thing holding it together is the crank.

but, I took that out, put my 96 ZRT motor in it, got the seat recovered, cut down the windshield, and repainted the pipes/can.

I think its worth a little more then the 375$ I got into it now :)
(oh, I also took out that junk motor and sold lots of the good parts on it. I will have alot of parts to sell!!)
Now-
[attachment=56652][attachment=40355]

And not to mention it goes like CRAZY. Mine has a missing piece of track (I need to put my other track on it, or just buy a new track).

Its up to you. Personally, I am very happy I did what I did, I learned alot and I am still learning. And I can say to the guys with the payments that I know more about my sled then they know about theirs (in most cases). And its not what you buy, its what you build.

Friends that come over to my house always ask to go out to the barn to see the ZRT and check on the build progress.. finally, I got to take them on a ride. My one buddy fell off when I hit the gas and was laying in the road hahahaha.

Either way.. I could talk about these sleds forever. Its what I know most about.

I also have the big shop book for the 97 ZRT.. so if you get it and need ANY help, I can help you!

I think (?) you and I have got in a few arguments on here in the past but its all good.. If I can't remember what it was about, it wasn't that bad.. and after all.. we are all on here to help each other.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Listen to MR. ZRT. He seems pretty stoked on his project sled. If you're looking for something to do, and want to learn about sleds, it might not be a bad project. I think $200 is closer to what you should pay. A lot of things you don't notice now can pop up fast and surprise you to the tune of several hundred dollars. Try to keep your total under $600, otherwise it's a bit too risky. Those AC triples go for pretty cheap around here in running condition. If you want it to be a profitable experience, show the guy some of the negative posts on here and give him a way lowball offer. Then part it out. Running sleds way nicer than that get parted out all the time.

·
Premium Member
15,519 Posts
^ I wouldn't show the seller any threads.. sellers could care less. They got a $$ in their head for a reason. I bought my ZRT from a farmer that knew nothing about sleds. My zrt was sitting in grass and cow crap up to my neck haha.

Yes, total investment is key here. You will also want to go thru the rear suspension and look at it. Hyfax. bearings, plastic pieces, shocks recharged, maybe new wheels, limiter straps.. I redid mine on 2 sleds and each sled cost me 300 ish with all the parts. Them wheels are like 25 each, bearings were 6, plastic pieces weree 4-7$ each, shock recharges vary... and so on

Yes it does get expensive at times. But, for like 600 ish you could have a sled that looked and rode almost like new that shouldn't need anything that YOU built and made to be what it is.

That gets a huge thumbs up in my book.

And yes.. Mr. ZRT gets pretty stoked

Here is the video of my first test ride.. the sound should make you want to run that triple :)
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/gallery/file.asp?id=14664&user=521

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thats to bad i wish i would have seen this information earlier i passed the sled up for a 95 xcr and now the sled is gone!!!!!!!!!!im kicking myself in a$$ right now i had a feeling the sled would be worth my time and effort but i didnt pursue it thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
hell if it was me ide buy it fix and sell it at a profit. just getting it running good and flip it.then find another sled in better shape with the profit you sold this one for.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thats what im in the process of doing with my xcr but i need to get a seat cover and get some paint on it before i can send it down the road for something newer

1 - 20 of 20 Posts