Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright here goes. I just rebuilt my motor bought it blown up so i was working off of part's print's and such. When i rebuilt the water pump i didnt put the ceramic seal on the inside of the impeller because it wasnt shown on the parts sheet motor is in sled all together i'm sure antifreeze got in the bottom end it was pissing out the oop's hole in the pump case . I built this motor from part's even the old cases were shot eavrythig is new and oiled.
Please don't tell me i gota yank this suker back out and take the bottom off..even though i know i prolly should.[:(]

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
O K
I won't tell you that you will need to take it apart and do it right.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had my welder make me 4 oiling port's in the upper case all along the balance shaft for pre season prep mabe dump bout 10 oinces of oil in the bottom end to lubracate the bearings till the antifreeze burns off ? it'l smoke for a while lol what do ya think?

·
Registered
764 Posts
id take it apart and do it properly putting the seal in there, otherwise your gonna be buring coolant all the time

·
Registered
795 Posts
The antifreeze will get to your crank better than the oil. The best thing to do is fix it right otherwise you'll be spending a lot of money replacing parts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I know how ya feel, it sucks and is such a energy zap when something like this happens....but you need to do it now...or should I say, I wouldn't drive it without fixing it....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha it's alive it's alive!!!! i ended up sticking a piece of 5/16 clear hose past the balance shaft gear down into the crankcase to get the antifreeze out, dumped bout 16 ounces of 2 stroke right into the balance shaft case fired that sucker up ran it for about four hours to break the can's in and purge the air out of the coolant system. i think kinda got lucky...hope, gota rebuild primary or find a good one next it keep's sticking shut the bushing's are bad in it and the statonary shaft is pitted slightley. then it's gearbox time stuck it in reverse while it was running the gears were eating themselves, seemed to have forward fine oil good no metal in it mabe just needs adjustment. when i'm done rebuilding EAVRYFREAKINTHING i'l get the back shock's done and clearcoat the hood. it better snow this year, was almost 60 today and my girlfriend keep's bustin on me, "The year you decide to build a sled it's not gunna snow" argh. Thank's for listenin to me rant yall.. Rick

·
Registered
1 Posts
That coolant shouldn't have gone into the crankcase if you had the rubber seal in the water pump- it's number 27 on the diagram. You did have the rubber seal in, right? I know you said you left out part of the mechanical seal. If the rubber seal was there, all the coolant should have gone out the weep hole. That's how it's supposed to work.
Jerry

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to know jerry thanks, that's what i was worried about, it looked and seemed to work that way but i wasn't sure because the balance shaft bearing behind pump was wet, and was only able to pull just a few green bubbles through hose, prolly from removal or me filling 5 or 6 times to find leak lol. yes that seal #27 was in there. mechanical seal # 12 is shown as one piece but is acually two, and i didn't have the old one to work off because impeller was siezed on shaft had to break it with a hammer and pin punch to salvage pump case, thank's again..Rick..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts