Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my first sled this winter. Now having problems starting it. Here is the story...Cleaned carbs, have already gone through the gas and refilled...kill switch bypass was on when i bought it, but seemed to work fine when I re-attached it. Gas in the lines, plugs seem wet, fuel pump taken apart and checked (haven't rebuilt yet, but am planning, also new gas lines). Even starting fluid doesn't get it going. The only success I had was pouring hot water on the pump and carbs..it pulled over no problem. I have three ideas...a leak into my tank (H20), or a stuck float, or a short somwhere. anyone have a similar problem. We just got 2 feet of snow and it isn't stopping, my machine is getting buried in my yard![V]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep there is spark, bought myself a box of br9es's, but wondering if they are hot enough?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Originally posted by 97zrt6
[br]but wondering if they are hot enough?
I don't think you need to worry about that just yet. How about we get it running first [:D]

You've got fire and you've got fuel...usually means GO! Plugs are wet...maybe too much fuel????

·
Registered
127 Posts
Does the engine try to start at any time. Turn the fuel valve off, If gas has leaked into the crank area then you will have a real problem starting.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yes br9es is the right plug(br9eya if you have extra cash in your pocket). Check that your choke cable is set properly, you should have a very small bit of play on your choke lever when in the off ( no choke ) possition.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Don't overchoke it! Try turning choke off and hold throttle wide open for more air flow, then try cranking it over. It might take a few pulls.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My choke does have a lot of play in it. I had to rig the switch when the little pin fell out. Also, the latest...last night (it is wicked cold up here in vermont right now) I went out to give starting it a try, I had the plugs out of it...put them in...tried to give it a tug...and the damn pull cord wouldn't budge!! Is it the cold? or is something really wrong now?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
my guess would be water in the crank case and now its froze solid. move it inside to a garage with a heater if you have access to one and thaw it out

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got her inside this weekend. Guess what....we siphoned about a half cup of water out of the first cylinder. The only logical reason we can think of how the water got there is through a vent line on the first bard, it was sitting down in a pool of water. Any other explanations out there? Also, does anyone know where the drain plug is on a 1997 zrt 600? We can't find it!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
My buddy had a similar problem one time and believe it or not , his AIR box WAS filled up with water , not actually filled up but more then 2 cups worth anyways. ..
But that's the least likely of the cause.
MY honest guess is that you either have a bad gasket or a cracked cylinder.
Take the head off and have a look , cause you can't rid it like that ,, so once the head will be off , i'm; sure you'll see that either 1 or more gaskets are shot or one of the cylinders are cracked

1 - 11 of 11 Posts