Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Arctic Cat ZRT800 with 2200 miles on it. Here is my problem. I start it after about 5-6 pulls (It usually sits for 2-3 weeks at a time). That isn't the problem. My Problem is that after riding it for about 45 mins to an hour, It seems that it over heats because i can smell like something electrical burning. It is a unique smell. After driving it for that period of time, if i let it idle, the engine just shuts off. I have checked the coolant resevoir and notice that there is some coolant in there. I would say about 1/4 of the resevoir. Now i have not checked the cap to see if there is actually coolant in there, but i notice that through the clear hose you can see coolant in the hose. Also if i let it sit say for 15-20 mins with the engine off, and "cool down", It starts right up and i can ride it until it overheats again. I forgot to say that the first time that it overheats, I attempt to rev up the engine or have it move at 4800 rpm, It is very slow to react and it seems as if the engine bogs and that it either dies or just won't move. I don't know if the carbs are screwed up, as i had the dealer do a carb cleaning on it in November. after the carb cleaning, I took out the old gas, I added 93 octane Gasoline and used some Gumout Carb Cleaner. I aslo added a bottle of ISO-heat in the tank when i had the old gas removed and added the new gas which was about a month and a half ago. Any suggestions would greatly be accepted. Notice I Have The service Manual for it and I am not that Mechanically inclined. I know how to do some things providing i have a step by step guide. If it is the Carbs, Do you think i should buy new carbs, or find some off ebay??? And also What is it that these reeds do, I have heard of them but not sure what they are and what the exactly do and how do i know if i need to change them???
Thanks For your Insight,
Victor

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would think you need to add more coolant to the coolant tank. If you look you will see a mark on the side of the tank. Take the cap off and fill to that mark, then start the sled and let it idle and see how much it takes from the tank. Your engine is getting hot and shutting down. If you ran it for 45 minutes and it ran fine your carbs must be ok. Look and see if you are leaking coolant anywhere also.[attachment=58690]

Attachments

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by MaverickVS
[br]My Problem is that after riding it for about 45 mins to an hour, It seems that it over heats because i can smell like something electrical burning. It is a unique smell. After driving it for that period of time, if i let it idle, the engine just shuts off.

...I have checked the coolant resevoir and notice that there is some coolant in there. I would say about 1/4 of the resevoir. Now i have not checked the cap to see if there is actually coolant in there, but i notice that through the clear hose you can see coolant in the hose.

...Also if i let it sit say for 15-20 mins with the engine off, and "cool down", It starts right up and i can ride it until it overheats again. I forgot to say that the first time that it overheats, I attempt to rev up the engine or have it move at 4800 rpm, It is very slow to react and it seems as if the engine bogs and that it either dies or just won't move.
Definetely overheating. If there is coolant in your hose or tank you are fine. You could add some to see if it's using water, but either way that wouldn't cause the overheating. It would have to run low to get hot.

I'm leaning more towards water pump.

If it is the Carbs, Do you think i should buy new carbs, or find some off ebay???
Carbs are fine.

And also What is it that these reeds do, I have heard of them but not sure what they are and what the exactly do and how do i know if i need to change them???
Reeds are between the carbs and the block. They are involved with the fuel and air entering the block. They prevent the gas/air mixture from being forced out the intake from the pressure of the piston going down.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sounds like your stator is on the way out. Thats how mine went. It would run ok then once in a while bog out and not want to run. After a short cool down it starts up and runs ok for a while again. Eventualy it will stall and not start at all.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Originally posted by thundercat
[br]Sounds like your stator is on the way out. Thats how mine went. It would run ok then once in a while bog out and not want to run. After a short cool down it starts up and runs ok for a while again. Eventualy it will stall and not start at all.
What you just explained sounds just like my snowmobile did to. Exactly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. Well I checked the Antifreeze Tank, I filled it up a little past the line. I ran the sled for about 10 mins and it didn't use much Coolant. My only other question now is whether i Should replace the Water pump, or the stator. I don't see any liquid leaking anywhere, i don't know how to tell if it is the water pump or stator. What is the stator for??? Where can i get one for cheap $$$? and is there any way to distinguish whether it is one over the other, i don't want to replace something that works fine... I will be out on Saturday to the Summer home where the sled is with my Brother-in-law who was a mechanic and has some idea of what to do. How hard is it to replace either the water pump or the stator? I have the Arctic Cat Service Manual which has a lot of step by step how to's but i am afraid of screwing something up... Any suggestions of cleaning or doing anything else to the sled while i am working on this project since i have to take some things apart and??? Thanks again,
Victor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts