Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lately i've been getting an extreme scent of raw gasoline from our 600 rmk. i have been told they all are like this, but not to the extent of smelling raw gas and having to get of the machine to get some fresh air to my eyes.

even last weekend we were boon docking and brown smoke was filtering out through the hood.

any ideas on what to do?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
It sounds to me that your tank vent line may be puking gas back out of it, is this happening all the time or just when the tank is full???, I had this problem before on one of my 98 XC 700's, the cause was from filling the tank up too full, you might want to check all of your fuel lines and connections to the fuel pump and carbs also.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would quit riding that thing before the smoke coming out of the hood turns into a freakin fireball in your face. Motors run way hot, and if I thought gas was coming out somewhere i wouldn't even start the thing. Good luck, I hope nothing is too wrong under there.

07rmkracer

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright. thanks for all your help guys.

and about filling it up too much, my dad always fills them up because he knows they do leak when filled too much. but it could be it. i'll check the lines and everything tomorrow after school.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Also with it running look at your vent lines for the carbs...I just repaired one that was flowing gas through the vent lines to the airbox. Also you could check your airbox and see if it is wet in the bottom.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I acually had a problem with my vents today. I just finished putting my engine together so I took my snowmobile out on the lake in my town today. When I would slow down to take a turn I would smell gas. I opened my hood while the motor was runing and I noticed that gas was pouring out of the vents. When I saw that I realized that I didn't connect the vent lines. There is one vent line that wraps around and goes to the oil tank and there is another that won't reach to either carb. Do I have to get a T connector and split the line into two and connect each line to the carb vents?
Thanks

·
Registered
571 Posts
I recently had fuel pouring back into my airbox and found that the needle seat had fallen out in one of the carbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts