Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to this stuff, so bear with me. My 98 1998 Polaris 600 XC has a problem of going through cdi boxes. It starts with the machine idling on one cylinder and then after you get down the trail a couple of mile it will clean up and run great. Then after a few more trips it will only clean up at wide open throttle. Put on a new cdi box ($300.00 dollars later) and it will run good for another season or so. Dealer can't find anything wrong. Help

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
So with a new CDI it will only run well for 1 season???

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Sounds to me like your stator should be replaced. Im guessing that the stator is sending too much current into the cdi box causing a meltdown over time. I dont believe that the voltage regulator has anything to do with the ignition system, but then again, i would have to see a wiring diagram first. But if the voltage regulator is not working correctly you would also be blowing headlights, so unless you are having problems keeping light bulbs in the sled, i would put my money on the stator. This is kind of difficult to diagnose without actually seing the sled, but its where i would start. You may also want to make sure you have good connections throughout the sled.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
277 Posts
How may CDI boxes have you gone through? 1, 2, 3? The early XC600's with the Keihen carbs need some serious help to make them run right when the sled is cold. Especially at idle. Have you had any work done to the carbs (needles, jets, air screw adj.). If the carbs are in the stock form from when the sled was delivered, they are out to lunch. Guaranteed. Just by the way you were describing the way it runs, until its hot or at W.O.T., it sound like the XC 600's and 700's from 97 and 98. Just a thought.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by TriumphoverU:
Sounds to me like your stator should be replaced......
[/quote]
Sounds like a Triumph-ant diagnosis to me.
It sounds like that is the problem alright, but it wouldn't have anything to do with a bad ignition coil would it T?

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well im gonna say no to the ignition coil just for the basic fact that when he replaced the cdi box it cleared up. If it were a coil, the problem would still be there with the new box. Also, you can think about it this way. First thing you get in the ignition system is a signal from the stator that goes into the cdi box to give the ignition timing. Once inside the box, it decides how far advanced the timing needs to be. Once this is figured out, it sends that signal to the ignition coils to fire the plugs. So i would figure the signal going in is what is frying the cdi box. The signal going out more than likely wouldnt cause a meltdown, as if the coil were bad, it would be no different than a fouled plug. I'm not saying that its impossible for a bad coil to cause this type of a problem, just unlikely.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
makes sence to me!

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
7 Posts
HEY THERE
I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING THE WEB TO FINE SOME SOLOTIONS FOR MY MISFIRING ON MY 1998 XC700 POLARIS. LAST SEASON MY CDI UNIT DECIED TO RETIRE, AFTER EXTENSIVE TESTING OF THE STATOR (AT LEAST I TOUGHT I WAS) THERE WAS VOLTAGE AND IGNITION TIMING PULSE SO I BOUGHT A NEW CDI AND EVERYTHING WAS FINE UNTIL THIS SEASON. MY PLUGS ARE FOULING FORM MISFIRING, SEEMS LIKE HALF THE POWER AT MEDIUM TO TOP END AND POOR IDLE. NOW IM THINKING STATOR? CAN ANY ONE HELP ME?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts