Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, got a couple of questions here. I disassembled and cleaned my secondary, now have some reassembly questions.

1. which is the stock hole choice for the spring in the helix? It's numbered 1-4, and I missed noting it when it came apart.

2. should I replace the buttons? i don't really know what a worn button look like, but these look to be in pretty good shape. The buttons run "dry" on the helix, right?

3. The shims are a little bit different than the diagram, but I think I've got that one nailed. One right under the snap ring, and another one at the bottom of the shaft right on top of that big cad-plated washer.

Thanks in advance guys!

Pneuman

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Don't know about your helix. I'd say 2 or 3 but probably someone else knows better.

Buttons are NOT lubricated. If they have some flattening to the face change em out. It's painless and cheap. Drill a small dia shallow hole in them, screw in a screw, grab screw with pliers and yank. Drop new one in hole and "set" it in place with a tap from a hammer on a piece of wooden dowel or the like.

Shim under the circlip is right. I don't know about the other.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

I yanked my buttons out last night, that was real easy. Shoot, why not just replace them, can't be much money in those little guys.

I was thinking the same thing on the hole choice, but they all look just the same - my sled is pretty low miles, so it hasn't wallowed out the hole at all.

Does anyone else know what hole is correct for totally stock settings?

Thanks guys, you've been a big help.

Pneuman

·
Registered
777 Posts
go with #3 especially if you haven,t replaced the sec spring,they sag out and that will help a little.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Stock spring hole is #2, but if old spring I would use #3.As for washers, there is one under the snap-ring, then one against cad plated sheave washer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey RXLCDN,

Thanks very much for the info. This spring has 1700 miles on it, so I am going to use the #3 hole. It looks like I've got the washers right as well.

pretty proud of myself - I made a clutch compressor from some 1/2 allthread, assorted hardware and a bit of flatiron. Works like a hot damn!

Cheers,
Pneuman

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys - OK one last question on clutch re-assembly: When I am re-assembling the whole works and compressing the spring, do I just let the helix engage straight down, or do I pre-torque the main spring approximately 1/3 turn?

I hope you Polaris clutch guys know what I'm trying to say here.

Thanks guys,
Pneuman

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.