Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, got a couple of questions here. I disassembled and cleaned my secondary, now have some reassembly questions.

1. which is the stock hole choice for the spring in the helix? It's numbered 1-4, and I missed noting it when it came apart.

2. should I replace the buttons? i don't really know what a worn button look like, but these look to be in pretty good shape. The buttons run "dry" on the helix, right?

3. The shims are a little bit different than the diagram, but I think I've got that one nailed. One right under the snap ring, and another one at the bottom of the shaft right on top of that big cad-plated washer.

Thanks in advance guys!

Pneuman

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Don't know about your helix. I'd say 2 or 3 but probably someone else knows better.

Buttons are NOT lubricated. If they have some flattening to the face change em out. It's painless and cheap. Drill a small dia shallow hole in them, screw in a screw, grab screw with pliers and yank. Drop new one in hole and "set" it in place with a tap from a hammer on a piece of wooden dowel or the like.

Shim under the circlip is right. I don't know about the other.

·
Registered
608 Posts
As far as the hole, you should see some wear in the one it was in. As far as the bushings, one should be over the pins for spacing. This is assuming you have a Polaris.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

I yanked my buttons out last night, that was real easy. Shoot, why not just replace them, can't be much money in those little guys.

I was thinking the same thing on the hole choice, but they all look just the same - my sled is pretty low miles, so it hasn't wallowed out the hole at all.

Does anyone else know what hole is correct for totally stock settings?

Thanks guys, you've been a big help.

Pneuman

·
Registered
777 Posts
go with #3 especially if you haven,t replaced the sec spring,they sag out and that will help a little.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks XC, that's how I'll do it.

Appreciate all the help guys. I'll bug everyone in the spring about my primary. LOL

-Pneuman

·
Registered
174 Posts
Stock spring hole is #2, but if old spring I would use #3.As for washers, there is one under the snap-ring, then one against cad plated sheave washer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey RXLCDN,

Thanks very much for the info. This spring has 1700 miles on it, so I am going to use the #3 hole. It looks like I've got the washers right as well.

pretty proud of myself - I made a clutch compressor from some 1/2 allthread, assorted hardware and a bit of flatiron. Works like a hot damn!

Cheers,
Pneuman

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys - OK one last question on clutch re-assembly: When I am re-assembling the whole works and compressing the spring, do I just let the helix engage straight down, or do I pre-torque the main spring approximately 1/3 turn?

I hope you Polaris clutch guys know what I'm trying to say here.

Thanks guys,
Pneuman

·
Registered
777 Posts
yes,twist the spring 1/3 turn, then push the helix in ,1 washer,1 snap ring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts