Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am looking to purchase another xcr 440 and am wondering what if any differences there are between the 98 and 99 sleds and if one is superior to the other. Are there any differences in the suspensions that came with those two sleds?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
The sleds are identical. Just body styling is different.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have a 99 XCR 440. Mine is on the EDGE chassis. But i think there is also a 99 xcr on the Gen II chassis. I'm pretty happy with mine, shes got lots of kick.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
There also was a minor engine change. I beleive they tightened up the tolerances also.

You really need to know if you are getting a xcr 440 or the sp. Sp is in the edge body.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the 99 in the edge chassis is a lot stronger motor. can pull a lot more clutching. the ride is unbelievable upgrade.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the desired suspension in these sleds? is the M-10 the better suspension?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Stock is great. Not crazy about the m-10 as you need to drill/mount a stiffner plate on the tunnel and it raises the ride height.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Originally posted by madcow
[br]the 99 in the edge chassis is a lot stronger motor. can pull a lot more clutching. the ride is unbelievable upgrade.
I wouldn't say a stonger engine. Those 99 440 Edge racer modles had pretty hi-strung engines. I think they turn 8800-8900rpm?? I really havn't heard good things about them on the trail. Not to mention they were weak in the body in spots. There are updates for them tho. The 00 XC was better I think..detuned back some. Buddy has one, fun sled. Still can't catch me in 660ft tho [:D]

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
The Edge should be the quicker, better handling sled. Due to its high strung nature I imagine the engine won't last nearly as long as a 98, or 99 in the GENII style. From what I know the 98-99 are identical other than one is wedge and the other is GEN II. The Edge also had alot of bulkhead durability issues.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excuse my ignorance but are the genII and the wedge chassis the same, and the edge chassis the new style?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Yes, the 98 Wedge and 99 GenII are the same sled just differnt body styling. The 99 Racer 440 XCR SP was the first year for the Edge. 2000 was Edge as well...01 then was in the Pro-X body?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i went out to the facoty in 99 to get are xcr 440 before that we had a 98 xcr 440 the 99 was alot better to ride on the edge chassie but that 98 would pull it all day long. we won the 500cc divsion up here in maine in 99/00 i beleave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts