Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help,i have a 1998 polaris indy 500.starts up on the fourth or fifth pull.if you put a load on the snowmobile it will bogg down. appears to be loading up.if i run engine without the airbox it will run better.i have checked many things.cleaned carbs twice,installing new needles.new cdi box,exciter coil,kit in pump diaphragm,new seals ,honed cylinders,put new rings in.my biggest worry is i'm only getting 90-95 lbs. compression. does anybody have any thoughts or ideas, i could use some good knowledge right now ......

· Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem ...On my 2-up indy it was the seals...as soon as we put a load on it it bogged...replaced seals runs great....my other one we have had a more difficult time....we just switched out the fuel pump and hope thats the problem....I was told that even though I have lower compression 115 in each as long as it was consistent it was probably a fuel problem or a clutch problem....we tested the seals with ether and didint get a response and I have been told if the seals are leaking you would know warm or cold....

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spiderwire said:
I have the same problem ...On my 2-up indy it was the seals...as soon as we put a load on it it bogged...replaced seals runs great....my other one we have had a more difficult time....we just switched out the fuel pump and hope thats the problem....I was told that even though I have lower compression 115 in each as long as it was consistent it was probably a fuel problem or a clutch problem....we tested the seals with ether and didint get a response and I have been told if the seals are leaking you would know warm or cold....
i put new seals allready and put kit in pump diaphragm,but i,m going to try another pump this afternoon. but weird if its the fuel pump because it runs fine at a idle ,punch the throttle it boggs(getting way to much fuel) thanks for feedback.......

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well put different fuel pump on put didnt help,so i took belt off and ran engine to check clutch movement.ran great so i then put new belt and tried running .it ran good for 10 min.so i ran engine with airbox on and ran fine,no bogging. let it set for awhile ,went to retart it and still has the bogg there,if i get it up to 20 mph and up to 5000 it seems to be fine ,plenty of power but under 20 and 5000 it boggs.please anybody have any ideas,have snow coming next week and the wife wants to ride....thanks!!!!

· Registered
23 Posts
I have a similar problem with a 97 indy 500, runs great when its rolling, but stop for a road crossing and its a mutt. The problem is worse when its warm out ,like 30 degrees. I pulled the carbs apart, looks ok. My buddy thinks the compression is low, about 105/110 , I have a 96 indy 500 that runs great, 115 lbs compression. Thinking of swapping some pieces to play elimination. Mark

· Registered
3 Posts
well I got tired of mine as again after doing 50miles it bogged down...now this time if I changed the plugs away she would go...for the next 40 or 50 miles then bogg down off a start...took it to a dealer I will let you know what he says...he thinks it needs a new set of needles....another tech thought that because the valve heads were burnt on top but not on edges that it was leaking antifreeze into the valves causing it to bogg when it warmed up dont know I will hopefully hear soon and let ya all know...meanwhile my XLT special developed a water pump leak....cash cows...uuugggggh

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spiderwire said:
well I got tired of mine as again after doing 50miles it bogged down...now this time if I changed the plugs away she would go...for the next 40 or 50 miles then bogg down off a start...took it to a dealer I will let you know what he says...he thinks it needs a new set of needles....another tech thought that because the valve heads were burnt on top but not on edges that it was leaking antifreeze into the valves causing it to bogg when it warmed up dont know I will hopefully hear soon and let ya all know...meanwhile my XLT special developed a water pump leak....cash cows...uuugggggh
how did you make out on your sled ? getting back to mine sled today ,got some ideas to work on with my bogging problem.one is my secondary clutch.going to switch seconday clutches with my xcr 440 sled.let you know!!!1

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i put different secondary clutch on but not much differance,but i opened up air screws and took air box off it runs great.so i'm leaving air box off for now.any ideas why indy runs boggy with air box on and good off engine. please reply anybody

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.