Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly knowledgeable about auto repair, but am brand new to snowmobiles and love to tinker. I have a friend who recently bought a 98 Indy Trail with ~250 miles on it (no, the original owner didn't ride it much).

While dinking around with the belt off, I found that in FWD the secondary clutch (and jackshaft, and brake disc, and etc.) rotated (had play) of about 20 degrees. When I put it in REV, the amount of rotational play fell to about 5-7 degrees.

Went to the local Polaris dealer and played with a 2003 and found that in FWD it had about 1-2 degrees of play.

Is my FWD play normal? Or should I pull something apart and inspect it for serious wear?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
ide check the chain tension in the chain case. either that or the gears are worn but with only 250 miles i dont think the gears would be warn. it does sound like a misadjusted chain

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Bobby, but yeah, I forgot to mention...

I increased the chain tension (even went so far as to *over* tension, just for testing) and it still had the play.

So, it sounds like you think it my be something messed up?

Incidentally, pulling the dipstick on the chaincase showed a *lot* of metal on the magnet (based on my auto experience)... a lot more than I would expect for 250 miles... Nothing triangular like I saw in another post, but...

·
Administrator
1998 XCR 440
13,109 Posts
Machines with reverse gear always have more play than a machine with no reverse. My Indy 440 was the same way. Adjust your chain to specs in the manual or provided by your dealer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with Polaris-Man because my wifes 2002 Classic 500 (comes with reverse) has some play too. Also those first couple of hundred miles are going to give you more metal shavings on the gearcase dipstick due to things breaking in. Some manufactures will tell you to change the gear oil after about 300 miles or a good break in. Tune it up to specs and as long as its running good have fun. If its not broke don't fix it.[:D]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I'll leave it alone... now that I think about it, the 2003 I checked had *electric* reverse; maybe account for the lack of play?

Anyhoo, thanks all for the input!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The play you feel is mostly the clearence in the reverse gear dogs and is there to help the reverse to engage. The rest is the backlash in the chain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts