Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with my X12 rear suspension, when you compress the rear it will not return to the top unless you pull up on it. I have removed the shocks and checked the springs for cracks but they seem fine could it be a cross shaft or something else that could be bad?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Clash01- Given the year of the sled have you ever had the shocks replaced or rebuilt? I do mine every two years - depending on use. When riding hard they will do this to you however if it is doing it cold they may need to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
That suspension is suppose to have a little bit of sag in it...like maybe 2-3 inches. This was designed this way so that when you're riding along a trail, and go over a small depression, the suspension drops down into the depression to absorb it, and the rider stays level.

If you have more than 2-3 inches of sag, you may can increase the tension on your torsion springs to the highest setting. If that's still not enough, it may be time to replace the springs.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey man,
I had 2 sleds with that skid in 'em, and here's the key: the grease gun is your very best friend. Liberally pile grease into every nipple until they squirt out the shaft ends. This will extend the life of the skid and really help it soak up the little bumps by having very little "stiction" or "starting friction" to movement.

Of course this is all based on a skid in good shape with shocks and springs that are not sagged out.

For setting sag, lift the rear of the sled and gently set it down. Now, measure from floor to the bumper. Now, while wearing FULL RIDING GEAR and with a 3/4 to full tank of gas, sit on the sled in normal riding position and have a buddy measure the bumper for you again. X-tra 12's can be set with a ton of sag and ride just amazingly, so start with about 4" and tune from there depending on the type of riding you do and how aggressive you are.

Hope this helps

oh.....also dump a bunch of spring preload out of the ski shocks - they come from the factory set to a retarded high preload.

Cheers
Pneuman

1 - 4 of 4 Posts