Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here, bought a 700 xc last year drove it for a few weeks, then the sled started to bog and not run right at low cruising speeds but fine at wot. So after the sled started to run funny I put it away for the season because of work and school. Now I am working on it again I pulled the carbs and found one had a good amount of oil in it, so then I pulled the reed valve cages and inspected them and they were fine. Any ideas why it was bogging, and had oil in one carb?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Get a service manual, check compression, check clutches, jetting for your altitude, clean carbs, fresh fuel, new plugs
Basically a full service

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Check compression, plug color, and inspect your clutches for worn out parts.

That being said, I would think it's in th carbs. I had the same issue with my sled a few years ago. Possibly float height is off due to worn out float pin holes or the float needles need to be replaced. Both will allow excess amounts of fuel into the engine. The worn float pin holes are common on these sleds, makes the float hight setting way off. Try a search for this issue on this site, many of us with these sleds have dealt with this. There's at least a couple of threads that detail how to fix it.

If you can, do a compression test and then pull your carbs and give them a good cleaning and inspection and see what you find.

Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Make sure carbs are clean, pay attention to the pilot circut if those are even partially obstructed it will not run right and then check everything else over as others have mentioned.Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, I'm waiting on carb parts now (broke a screw) and two gaskets. I did download a service manual. On this carb setup the float hight is not adjustable due to the floats and tab being the one piece plastic style. Once I get the carbs back together I will barrow a compression gauge and measure it next weekend.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The float height is adjusted by tweaking the little tab that actually pushes on the float valve. Just bending the tab a tiny bit with a screwdriver can change the float height by one or two mm.

Is the float pivot pin sloppy, or is it still fairly tight? Remember to remove the pilot jets to thoroughly clean them and blow carb cleaner and compressed air through all the passages, including the little ports on the airbox side of the carb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The carbs are spotless took them to a famley friend who has an ultrasonic carb/parts cleaner, should have my carb parts by next weekend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got my carbs back on the sled, started the sled up it backfired a few times but stoped after it got warm, went out and drove it for 15 minutes ran fine and it started bogging again after it got good and warm I pulled the sled into the garage and gas started poring out, one of the water catch hoses broke. So sometime this week I'll fix that and see where that gets me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts