Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1998 Polaris Ultra SPX 680 cc, 3-cyl., 3-carb. While initially accelerating to a specific speed the machine performs like expected. However, when I reach a desired speed (anything over 30 mph) and try to accelerate the sled will not go faster. It will hold the same speed even if I crack the throttle wide open. If I take the sled from a stop and hit it, the machine will go 0-95 like it’s supposed to. Only when I let off the throttle once I’ve reached my desired speed for the time it will refuse to go faster. So for example I accelerate on the trail to 45 mph and find a straight away and wish to go faster the sled will not go, I must stop (or slow below 30) and re-accelerate. Any idea what the problem is? The carbs are as clean as the day the came out of the factory. That was my only thought. Please help!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sounds like it isn't running on all 3 cylinders.
Do a compression check of all the cylinders.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It only makes a very, very slight "bogging" sound. Nothing terrible. How does I determine if the backshifting in my clutches is messed up? I will do a compression check and post the results. Is it really possible for some of the cylinders to not be functioning when the sled takes off from 0-90 like a rocket? Thanks for the help!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts