Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 1998 Polaris Ultra SPX 680 cc, 3-cyl., 3-carb. While initially accelerating to a specific speed the machine performs like expected. However, when I reach a desired speed (anything over 30 mph) and try to accelerate the sled will not go faster. It will hold the same speed even if I crack the throttle wide open. If I take the sled from a stop and hit it, the machine will go 0-95 like it’s supposed to. Only when I let off the throttle once I’ve reached my desired speed for the time it will refuse to go faster. So for example I accelerate on the trail to 45 mph and find a straight away and wish to go faster the sled will not go, I must stop (or slow below 30) and re-accelerate. Any idea what the problem is? The carbs are as clean as the day the came out of the factory. That was my only thought. Please help!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
It sounds like your secondary clutch spring doesn't have enough tension so it's not back-shifting quick enough. If you take the secondary off, you'll see holes in the retainer bracket where the spring is set. If the spring is in the middle hole, try moving it to the next higher hole to create more tension. Also pay attention when taking it apart how much turn is on the bracket and ramp. Usually its about 1/3rd turn.

·
Registered
68 Posts
When was the last time it was rode? How long did it sit? Mine was like this after i took it out of storage.. it could possibly be the carbs. Make sure all the carbs are tuned and the fuel line isn't kinked anywhere. It could be that the fuel pump is clogged somehwhat. Also check the airfilter for any debris, because this could cause lack of airflow. If nobody else sugguest anything ~LOGICAL~.. just take the airbox off, remove 1 carb at a time, take off the jet, and clean the floats and needles. A high pressure air hose works, but sometimes gunk gets caught in the needle hole, so blow that out good. If you can clearly see something in there then it would be wise take something long and slender and get it out. i would suggest something but i dont want to be responsible for you ruining up your carb.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts