Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

I was reading thru an old Snow Tech magazine, and I found that Polaris makes an update for the cooling system for the '98 XC's, so it is the same as the '99s. It says that this re-circulates the same coolant throughout the engine, and not back through the radiators, when it is warming up. This makes good sense, b/c my '98 is very cold blooded.

I checked with my local dealer, and they can get it for like $180!! The magazine said like $80!! So, I am wondering if anyone has installed this kit, and what is in it. Would it be cheaper to look at the microfiche and see what is different between the '98's and '99's?. I wouldn't think there would be much of a difference, except for maybe the thermostat, and some hose line.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
All it is is, like you said, a thermostat and a little hose. You just have to make sure you get it in the right spot. I am not sure if you need to do anything with the coolant bottle or not. I don't think it should cost that much for these parts unless there are other things included. Maybe ask your dealer what is all in the kit and check another dealer for his price on the same kit.

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Hey Titan if you XC is so cold blooded go up 1 size richer on the pilot jets. I did that on my 98 700 RMK and that solved the problem, Save your $180 on the thermostat and hose. Riley

good day

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the info guys. I'm gonna check out my buddy's 2000 XC700, and how his coolant is routed. Hopefully I can get a couple of parts and switch it over. Thats the nice thing about Polaris' you can swap alot of parts back and forth!!

Thanks for the jetting info Riley. Does changing the Pilot jet hurt your fuel mileage? I love the mileage that I'm getting now (around 12mpg), and the thing is a rocket when it is warmed up. I don't want to hurt my mileage much, b/c getting good mileage saved me about a 5 mile walk last winter...

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Changing pilot jet shouldnt affect your gas mileage very little if at all. Pilot jet is only used at idle to approximatly 1/4 throttle. then the main jet takes over.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts