Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 Polaris XLT 600 indy triple that will bog and won't idle. It starts fine but won't idle it will take a lot of feathering of the throttle to get it to go then will not go over 25mph. Drive is loose and free, belt is new, compression is 125 dry 135-140 wet,a lot of oil in exhaust pulled pipe still runs the same, gas and oil in air box carbs don't seem to be flooding into air box but looks like spraying, checked starting cable they all have slight slack, plugs are new come out wet and oily and tops of pistons are clean very little carbon (like it was washed off). There is oil dripping from exhaust joint at manifold and at exhaust gaskets at block. I am thinking carbs are flooding or the oiler is over oiling any other ideas?

· Registered
1,359 Posts
sounds like your throwing to much gas into the carbs. the gas will wash out the oil. id say check your needle and seats. id take apart them carbs and clean them really good. and i would double check your choke cable to make sure its not letting gas through when the choke is off. sounds like your running on 2 of 3 cylendars.

· Registered
8,834 Posts
clean the carbs and remove the choke plungers. chances are a choke plunger could be stuck. also put in new plugs.

· Registered
16 Posts
I was having the same problem with my 95 XLT. I took the carbs off and had them cleaned. I had to replace the needles and seats but it made a world of difference. the idle seems fixed and i have power back again. I would suggest looking here first because the guy that done my carbs said that the needles and seats are usually what go!

· Registered
9,987 Posts
While you have the carbs off, look in the ports for a cracked piston skirt. That's another cause for fuel spray in the airbox.

Also, drain the crankcase..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.